ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Split frequency on Kenwood 820s

May 28th 2012, 12:02

BBNC

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
How does one go about operating split frequency on a radio with only 1 VFO? Is that what a separate VFO is for?

Bruce, KK4IKO
May 28th 2012, 13:10

aa6e

Bruce - You've answered your own question!

You can work a small split using your RIT control, if you have one, but typically you want to split more than RIT will give you.

Martin
AA6E
Jul 5th 2012, 02:31

KF5QEO

I heard somewhere when working DX, a traffic pile-up could be avoided by using a split frequency. I understand the theory, but can't quite see it working that way. While a spit would allow the station to hear someone while transmitting the report, if everyone transmits at the same time on the transmit frequency, it'd seem you'd still get a pile-up. Have you had experience with this?
Nov 8th 2012, 17:41

N3HEE

Bruce, I have a TS-820S and work small splits of 2-3 KHZ using the RIT control all the time. That method works well for CW pileups where the DX station is listening up or down 1 or 2 KHZ. For example if the DX is listening up 2 set your VFO to transmit 2 KHZ above the DX station and use your RIT control to tune down and listen to the DX station. You can also toggle the RIT button periodically to listen to the pileup so you can tweak your transmit freq. to a clearer spot if needed. I have worked plenty of DX this way! 73 Joe

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn