Regulatory & AdvocacyAmateur Radio is subject to regulation at the international and national levels with regard to telecommunications and at the state and local levels with respect to land use regulations. ARRL advocates on behalf of Amateur Radio at all of these levels.
Riley Hollingsworth to North Carolina Club: Amateur Enforcement “Very Much Alive” Learn More
FCC Reverses ALJ’s Decision, Revokes Convicted Sex Offender’s Amateur Radio License. Learn More
The ARRL has asked the FCC to continue issuing hard copy licenses to those who want them. Learn More
The ARRL has taken issue with the NTIA's WRC-15 proposal for 5 MHz. Learn More
ARRL informs lawmakers about the contributions and needs of the Amateur Radio service. Learn More
ARRL interacts with the FCC and other federal agencies involved in telecommunications policies. Learn More
The ARRL volunteer Field Organization includes State Government Liaisons (SGL) who monitor state legislation. Learn More
ARRL supports local amateurs in representing Amateur Radio in their communities. Learn More
The ARRL Regulatory Information Branch is responsible for interpretations of Amateur Radio regulatory issues. These include:
- Concerns about FCC rules and regulations,
- Applications for a new or renewed amateur licenses,
- Changes of address
- Vanity call sign applications and operations overseas
RIB staff maintain and administer:
- The Volunteer Counsel, Volunteer Consulting Engineer and Official Observer Programs,
- Answer general regulatory questions as well as those on the FCC preemption of RFI,
- The ARRL Equipment Insurance and Club Liability Insurance Plans, antenna restrictions and the ARRL Monitoring System,
- Edit The ARRL's FCC Rule Book.
Answers to most of your regulatory concerns can be found on these pages or you may contact us for additional information.
The ARRL recommends the following publications on regulatory topics:
- Antenna Zoning for the Radio Amateur by Fred Hopengarten
Everything you and your attorney need to know to obtain a permit for your antenna support system.
Contact Us -- ARRL HQ Regulatory Staff
Dan Henderson, N1ND
Administrator, ARRL Volunteer Counsel and Volunteer Consulting Engineer Programs.
- General regulatory questions
- RFI regulatory information
- Antenna restrictions
- International operating
Chuck Skolaut, K0BOG
Field and Regulatory Correspondent, Coordinator: Amateur Auxiliary to the FCC, Administrator: ARRL Monitoring System
- Handling of matters with an existing or potential enforcement issue
- Spectrum management (band sharing, frequency coordination information, etc)
- Backup of general regulatory inquiries
Amateurs occasionally ask for ARRL General Counsel Chris Imlay, W3KD, of Washington, DC. Since ARRL is but one of his clients, questions should be directed to ARRL HQ in Newington, Connecticut. Questions requiring a legal opinion can be asked of an ARRL Volunteer Counsel in your area.