The ARRL Technical Information Service is the member's resource for technical problems -- understanding the fine points or getting tips for your projects. Your membership dollars support a vast collection of technical material, including some of the best QST and QEX articles for free download. We have ARRL field volunteers who can provide local assistance. If the other resources still leave you perplexed, you can contact the lab staff for assistance with ham radio questions by mail, email or phone. Be sure to include your call sign or membership number with your inquiry.
Where to Look for Answers
Be sure to visit the Technical FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) before contacting the TIS.
How do I ...?
Radio Technology Topics--Technical pages on a variety of subjects you can read/download
Where did I see ...?
ARRL Periodicals Index Search - This database contains the QST index from 1915 to the present and the QEX index from 1981 to the present. Annual indexes can be downloaded from the archive by using the search terms "index volume"
If you prefer to browse the QST annual index, recent indexes are available for download
Where do I find ...?
- Companion software, Templates and Product Notes for recent ARRL books and CDs
- QEX files and companion material for download
- QST Files and Templates available for download
How do they compare ...?
- QST Product Review List - view a list of product reviews going back to 1970
- QST Product Review Downloads - read or download product review columns going back to 1980.
- QST Product Review Transceiver Summary - a list of transceivers compared head to head.
- The ARRL Lab Test Procedures Manual describes the test methods used by the ARRL Lab for Product Review testing. (1.4 MB, PDF file).
Members can contact TIS at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-members should contact email@example.com. TIS is pleased to help a new ham get started or help an old timer get back into ham radio but non-members will be asked to join the ARRL so we can continue to provide this valuable membership service. After solicitation, non-member inquiry will be promptly forwarded to the ARRL HQ TIS staff.