Unless otherwise directed, address all correspondence regarding job openings to:
225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111
To apply, please complete the following application or e-mail your cover letter and resume to the above e-mail address. Please include your salary history and/or requirements.
ARRL is an equal opportunity employer.
Download the application form and print it out. Mail the completed form to the address above.
Job Title: Circulation/Customer Service Manager
Department: Sales and Marketing
Supervisor: Marketing Manager
Job Category: Grade 13 / Full-time
Coordinate and provide oversight and support of (a) membership application processing, (b) product sales fulfillment, and (c) periodicals circulation.
Run Data Processing Unit
Manages membership application processing (including subscriptions) and product sales fulfillment.
- Coordinates daily workflow among data processing unit, warehouse, and interdepartmental linkages. Ensures appropriate staffing levels for efficiency and productivity.
- Manages daily customer correspondence and incoming call center.
- Prepares monthly and other recurring membership and sales summaries for the management team.
- Contributes to forecasting membership levels, revenue amounts, and sales figures using historical data and trends.
- Develops budget for periodicals and fulfillment forwarding expenses.
- Regularly solicits and compiles customer and member feedback, and, as supported, implements service enhancements.
- Cooperates with Information Services team to manage effective data processing within system limitations. Provides extensive analysis, requirements, testing, feedback and training during computer conversions.
Supervise and Develop Staff
Supervises and develops customer service support staff (i.e. hires, trains, coaches, appraises, rewards, motivates, disciplines, recommends termination as necessary, etc.).
- Maintains efficient staffing levels for optimal data processing and workflow.
- Cross-trains customer service staff, achieving operational redundancy and consistent service levels.
- Delegates as necessary, recognizing skill level and aptitude.
- Routinely assists staff with data processing/computer support.
- Challenges the team to achieve higher levels of processing.
- Instructs the team on the effective use of telephone tactics or other strategies to elicit higher levels or sales and customer satisfaction.
- Oversees circulation database management, operations and fulfillment for all ARRL periodicals (QST, NCJ, and QEX). Examples of these activities include:
- directing mailing lists/labels
- directing renewal notices and other regular mailings
- managing postage
- administering Life Membership
- ensuring adequate stock of all membership/subscription forms, cards, and renewal notices
- compiling annual postal Statement of Ownership, Management and Circulation
- Coordinates circulation logistics with the printer and mailing facilities.
- Coordinates periodical publication matters with the United States Postal Service. Represents ARRL as internal "expert" on postal matters utilizing the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) and other sources for information. Liaise with Postal Customer Council and with other mailers, USPS managers and industry professionals to exchange best and most profitable mailing practices.
- Coordinates specific aspects of the department’s direct mail activities: ensuring accuracy in published prices and rates, feasibility, postal adherence, printing, distribution and fulfillment (sourcing printers and lettershops, quoting jobs, etc.).
- Travels as required. Organizes membership and sales exhibit at, typically, one or two conventions annually.
- Participates (as mutually agreed upon) in initiatives to create new growth opportunities for ARRL.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added or modified by the Marketing Manager.
- Meet fulfillment and delivery standards.
- Achieve other operating goals.
- Conducts business in a professional manner both internally and externally.
Knowledge and Skills
Must be experienced in customer service, data processing management, written and verbal communications, and enjoy significant customer interaction. This position requires a flexible and accommodating team-oriented individual with excellent organizational and supervisory skills who can adjust to a fluid and demanding work environment.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Desire and advanced ability to positively motivate fellow employees
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High energy level
- Strong attention to key details
- Ability to recognize sales trends and opportunities
- Commitment to exemplary member and customer services
- Dedication to fair and moral business practices
- Excellent data processing skills; background in data processing management
- Expert-level proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Access is required
- Amateur Radio background/experience desired
Work Environment: Office/Some Travel
Job Title: Media and Public Relations Manager
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer
Job Category: Grade 12/ Full Time
The Media and Public Relations Manager is responsible for explaining the value of the Amateur Radio Service to the media and general public, directly and through volunteers. While an Amateur Radio license is not required, the ability to interpret technical concepts into layman’s language is essential. Outstanding communications skills and the ability to train and motivate grassroots volunteers are required.
- Plan, develop and implement ARRL media and public relations strategy
- Create annual department budget plan and control expenditures
- Maintain awareness of contemporary media trends and options for efficient use of available resources
- Train, motivate and inform public relations volunteers
- Maintain up-to-date PR information on ARRL website, press kits and releases
- Write and edit the ARRL Annual Report
- Maintain lists of media contacts
- Experience in public relations or journalism, preferably on the national level; degree in related field preferred
- Knowledge of the news media and media operations
- Ability to exercise good judgment and interact productively with people while under pressure and to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent research, written and verbal communications skills including technical material
- Proficiency in MSWord, PowerPoint, audio and video editing, online social media
- Demonstrated effectiveness in public speaking
- History of successful volunteer recruitment and supervision
Department: Education Services
Supervisor: Education Services Manager
Job Category: Grade 8/ Full Time
This position supports the Education Services Department of the ARRL, the national association for amateur radio. The Education Services Department is responsible for the development of licensing instruction materials and resources to support volunteer licensing instructors, support for educational outreach programs involving schools across the country, and a continuing education program that includes online courses.
The position requires an individual who is a self-starter, has the ability to organize and prioritize, a willingness to learn, and a motivation to serve.
- Provide administrative and customer service support for Continuing Education Program, including coordinating on-line course registration, answering phone and email inquiries from prospective students and instructors, resolving student problems in coordination with mentors and/or course platform provider
- Approve registrations /listings submitted for the website; process and coordinate applications for various programs
- Maintain data in multiple databases
- Export/import data to/from Excel and Access for customized reporting needs
- Set up online course sessions and course content on Moodle online platform
- Track and implement course content updates and edit course content files using editing software
- Provide administrative support for Emergency Communications field instruction and exams
- Provide administrative support for educational outreach programs, grant and teacher applications, resource ordering and positioning for workshops, record keeping and database maintenance
- Screen, respond and/or re-direct department phone and email inquiries
- Mail materials requested by instructors/teachers/clubs
- Write instructions and communications about department programs for ARRL Web pages
- Maintain website content
- Develop/edit instructional videos to support instruction and to communicate about educational outreach programs
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- High level of attention to detail, accuracy and organization
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Courteous and professional demeanor and phone manner
- Business and customer service experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft operating system and applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access
- Proficiency with various Internet browsers, including IE and Firefox
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Educational Media or Instructional Technology or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with instructional video production
- Experience with Moodle or other online learning platforms desirable
- Experience with Lectora or other instructional design software desirable
- Experience with content management system, website development, knowledge of HTML desirable
- Amateur radio license or willingness to obtain amateur radio license