ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Yaesu, Icom, and Linux

Feb 14th 2014, 23:36

K7RMA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I run Linux Mint. I'm considering buying a Yaesu FTDX1200 or Icom IC-7410. The manuals for both indicate that they require connection to a Windows pc in order to install USB drivers.

Could these USB drivers by installed by running an emulator in Mint, then connecting the radio?

Does anyone know if either radio contains other Windows-specific software? In other words, would either radio be dead in the water without an emulator running?

My plan is to connect the radio to the Mint pc, then run Linux programs (logging, etc). I've noticed the Ubuntu Hams group and others, but no idea if any compromises must be made in order to get the radio and Linux to play with each other.

Thanks and 73,
Rob

Feb 18th 2014, 17:09

K1BBB

Rob,

I personally cannot comment about either of those radios, but I can comment about Linux. I use Slackware (infact I'm typing this from Slackware right now) on some of my computers, and I've had some success in using wine: http://www.winehq.org/ for various Windows needs. You might be able to run some of your Windows only software from that, without the need to buy a Windows license. Or if you do have Windows on hand, you could also install Virtual Box for free, and run an instance of Windows along side your Linux Mint install. Either way, I'd say you have a decent chance of getting their software working. You might also check the WineHQ website to see if they have any information about the specific software you'd like to install.

Hope this helps,
-Matthew, KC9ZFI
Feb 23rd 2014, 19:01

K7RMA

Thanks Matthew. I do have an old copy of XP, but I'll only load that on a partition as a last resort. Offline discussions with a few knowledgeable gents has confirmed that the radios themselves do NOT run Windows. Manufacturers want users to have Windows so that they will be able to open Windows-enabled zip files of future firmware updates. Otherwise, Windows is unnecessary. But having said that, Yaesu told me directly that they have never tested connecting their radios to any OS other than Windows, so cannot safely recommend any other OS. I'd say it's about time they got off their butts and tried some new operating systems - like the rest of us.
Feb 24th 2014, 18:54

K1BBB

It seems to me that Linux would be a perfect fit for Ham radio, and it's too bad that there doesn't seem to be enough support in the community for it. I was able to program my Baofeng using a Fedora Linux box last year, but it certainly didn't work as easily as a Windows computer. I have nothing against Windows, and use it as well as Mac and Linux; but, it would just be nice to have options. Good luck.

Matthew, KC9ZFI

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn