ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ham-compatable laptop specs

Feb 27th 2014, 12:57

KC9IQF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There was a prior question on this topic dating from early 2013. I'm looking for an update. Need a new laptop, needs to be compatable with work, finance, and therefore a PC. Ham time currently limited to e-comm drills and occasional nets, but plan to expand my shack and operations over the next couple of years. Processor(s)? GB? RAM? Will adopt prior recommendations regarding two screens and two sound cards.

Thanks and 73
KC9IQF
Feb 27th 2014, 17:10

K1BBB

I'd just like to throw this out there, and I don't know specifics on whether the hardware would work with ham radio; but, a Macbook Pro or Air is an awesome piece of machinery. Stick with me here. The hardware itself is top notch, and some of the best I've seen in the industry, ever. I've been working in IT for 15 years mind you. I'm not particularly an OS X fan, though I can work with it and support it....and I'm not necessarily an Apple Fanatic by any means. But here's my story.

I got a Macbook Pro through work, and to make it usable, here is what I did. First of all, I have the 27" monitor that comes with it, and I dock up to that for serious desktop work. I triple booted the thing, using Mac OS, Windows 7 (or 8 now), and Linux. Using my 512Gb SSD drive, I had plenty of space for all 3 OSs. This gives me extreme flexibility. I can load any of the 3 OSs independently of the others, and they see the laptop as though it were any other Intel based laptop.

Now, as an added bonus, I can also dock up to my monitor/keyboard/mouse, and bootup OS X. Once booted up, I'm able to then load parallels, and then boot Windows. I have just effectively started up two computers, on two separate screens, and have the ability to use multiple sets of software. Another added bonus of this, is that I can also load and boot just about any flavor of OS I feel like in parallels, even having OS X, Windows 8, and Slackware 14.1 all running at the same time.

Apple has also taken care of me twice. First with my laptop. Water was spilled on it one night. Mind you, the laptop was $4k without the monitor. They replaced the entire laptop, without any charge. And no, I didn't have applecare or any insurance. And then, a year or so later, my iPhone quit holding a charge, and they replaced that with a brand new unit as well. Plus, they have fantastic in store support.

So, although I used to bash Apple, I've come around to the point where I see them as a solid company with good products.

If I don't buy Apple, I buy Dell.

Matthew, KC9ZFI
Mar 5th 2014, 02:13

KC9IQF

Thank you for all those ideas. I am giving them serious consideration.
KC9IQF
Mar 5th 2014, 02:13

KC9IQF

Thank you for all those ideas. I am giving them serious consideration.
KC9IQF

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn