ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Sky-Loop Antenna

Mar 25th 2014, 09:51

VU2PPP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have recently installed 40M Sky-loop Antenna to work on 40/20/15 & 10M bands. The loop is fed with coaxial cable RG58U cut to precisely to half wave length on 40M to bring the feed-point impedance inside the shack. The antenna works beautifully on all the four HF bands with SWRs varying from 1 to 2.5 without any matching unit.
Additional bonus was its wonderful operation on 2M, with maximum SWR of about 1.6 !!
For more on this, please visit my site www.vu2ppp.com
Best 73,
Pammi, vu2ppp
Apr 1st 2014, 15:59

K1BBB

That's really great to hear. I'm excited to build and try a Full Wave Loop soon. I wonder how practical it would be for a club even, such as a picnic at a park? Would it be relatively easy to throw up in some trees and/or portable antenna masts? That's definitely something I want to look into...
Aug 10th 2019, 19:34

N8PEP

For about a year, I have been using a full-wave 40m loop fed with 100 ft of RG-8X, with a 4:1 balun at the antenna's feed point. This results in an SWR of approximately 1:1 (measured at the balun) on 40/20/15/10 and the SSB portion of 6m, without a tuner. The antenna also seems effective on 17m and 12m with a tuner. In addition, I have made local contacts on 80m (out to a few hundred miles), with a tuner, but I feel sure the antenna is not efficient on 80m when using my current feeding technique. Overall, I am pleased with the number of contacts I have made on all the bands mentioned, and I have gotten good signal reports despite the poor propagation conditions over the past couple of years. What really surprises me is the decent performance even though the antenna is only roughly 20 feet high.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn