ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

nxtbook android file - very large size com.nxtbook.arrl

Mar 26th 2014, 08:55

OH2BVE

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi,

I was looking through my Samsung Galaxy Android Tablet GT-5110, running a 4.2.2 android and found that there is file called com.nxtbook.arrl that has a size of 1.3GB.
I find that particularly large, actually the largest file any app is using in my tablet. Why it is so large? I would request that to be minimized. Is it for the reason of downloaded QST-versions? I have only 5 downloaded in the tablet, so occupying 1.3GB for that is a lot of data and would be beneficial to offer users to store that data on memory card instead of device memory.

Second issue is why there is no option to store ARRL app on the memory card instead of system flash memory?

Third issue is the web site informs there is a bug reading the QST in Samsung Galaxy, but at least I can read without problems. Would be beneficial to understand more than that there is a bug, but what is concerned and what versions of Android and ARRL app it affects.

BR

Jari
OH3JW, OH2BVE, DL3JW
Nov 11th 2015, 18:53

EA3D

Had the same com.nxtbook.arrl file problem - 3 GB for almost all 2015 magazines. 73 EA3DU
Nov 13th 2015, 16:22

aa6e

I agree this is a problem. The QST monthly file is a couple of hundred MB, because it stores page images, photos, etc. in a high-res format, and there are the video files, too.

The PDF files on the annual DVDROM are more reasonable -- but they aren't easy to manage on a small screen. Actually, the QST apps don't work all that well on a small screen either! I'd prefer a format that provided optimized "flowing" text as appropriate for your screen. I understand that's hard to provide without substantial added work at the League.

73 Martin AA6E
Nov 13th 2015, 17:25

W1VT

Super Moderator

This gives everyone the highest possible media quality--there is no "better" media to be had by calling up HQ and requesting a high resolution version.

Zack W1VT
Nov 14th 2015, 16:23

aa6e

@Zack: You need hi-res for some of the graphics, but it is way overkill (if you care about file sizes) to use hi-res to give full page images for all content. Ideally, you use text formats (compact) for text data and only use hi-res where it is really necessary. Maybe the advertising pages should be optional? (Heresy, I know!)

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn