ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Re-Tubing Galaxy V

Mar 28th 2014, 01:29

K9BW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Gentlemen,
Just took out my Galaxy V from storage.... that has been in storage for about 30 yrs. It was working perfectly when I put it away and then my work took me away from home for a long time. when I opened the packaging... there of course was not physical damage or moisture or water or anything.. but about 80% of the tubes went south by just being in storage.. no none were broken . They just are dead. I am afraid I know the answer to this question.... is the any reliable source of tubes anymore??? any where??? I do not trust new old stock since that is what I had in the Galaxy before I put it away. It was re-tubed with back then with what were new tubes. I guess I have a paper weight on my hands but it does not hurt to ask.
73's
Mar 28th 2014, 16:45

WA0CBW

Are you saying that the tubes don't light up? the filaments are open? I find it hard to believe they would open up just sitting around.
Bill
Mar 30th 2014, 03:24

K9BW

Bill, a number of things. some did not light. many that did not, no electrons flowed through them. I have a tube tested and these became duds from just sitting around. The finals were new when I put it away. the glass in those tube just sort of disintegrated in various spots..mostly at the base and tops were the metal connectors are. Only about 10% were OK...if my old tube tester is correct. Some the filament no longer lit.. Rig was stored inside a heated house and it was in a sealed box and no one touched it or disturbed it. Sort of a surprise to me since I expected maybe one or two to get gassy but the finals that were brand new tubes not new old stock... went bad at the tops. I remember years ago Russia was still making tubes. I guess they are out of that business and now invading countries again.
Mar 31st 2014, 19:36

WA0CBW

I have restored many old radios over the years and I never came across what you experienced. I don't know what to make of that?
Bill
Mar 31st 2014, 19:37

WA0CBW

I have restored many old radios over the years and I never came across what you experienced. I don't know what to make of that?
Bill
Apr 1st 2014, 18:52

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Yes, tubes get gassy if the filament hasn't been turned on for a long time. Sometimes, the filament will open when a gassy tube is first turned on at full filament voltage. I use a variac to bring up the filaments to about 50 volts and then i let them cook there for a few days, before applying full voltage. I've had totally lifeless radios that have come back to work very well after a long sleep

Some filaments are hard to see. To be sure, check the continuity on the pins. Otherwise, let the tubes cook a few days.

Good luck,

Bob Allison
ARRL Test Engineer
Oct 30th 2014, 15:43

0008416805H80

I have worked on a number of Galaxy rigs over the years, predominantly the Galaxy V Mark III, and a bunch of GT550's. I own two complete GT550 lines, and have never experienced what you mention, not in Swan, Drake, Heath, or a dozen other tube radios. I suspect the filaments may have burst upon powering up, and maybe some didn't power up due to bad filament transformers (6v and 12v). If you are going to re-tube it, I would recommend that you power the radio up slowly. Good luck... w3ik
Feb 27th 2015, 11:28

K8OT

Most likely the tube sockets or the pins on the tube sockets have corroded, spray the sockets with a good cleaner and plug them in and out a few times.
I'm restoring an odd Hallicrafter SX101 and experienced what you described.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn