ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

D-Star - Is it worth it?

May 14th 2014, 19:59

KD5HIJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Considering the purchase of an ICOM ID-880H. The D-Star seems appealing but is it worth it? All opinions welcome.

KD5HIJ
May 20th 2014, 14:38

KC2UGV

I personally do not think it's worth while. Not enough activity in the area, and it's a closed proprietary system, so, I wouldn't shell out extra just for D-Star.
Aug 19th 2014, 02:48

WA9WVX

Here's the real problem at hand, the Amateur Radio manufactures haven't found a method to design & build a multi-mode Digital transceiver that will operate FDMA, TDMA, CDMA & MFSK (D-Star). Here in northern Illinois there are quite a few D-Star repeaters and the ICOM Product is backwards compatible with Analog FM signals. When System Designers analyzed the basic repeater coverage they would provide coverage as 90%, 70% and 50% for each system. I'll use an example, if the 90% coverage was 25 air miles radius, 70% would be 32 air miles radius and for the 50% would be 37.5 air miles radius for system coverage. Whereas using the Digital D-Star Repeater coverage will be 36.75 air miles radius so using Digitaling signaling provides much better coverage. This reminds me of HF AM versus SSB as that took a few years to take hold and now almost everyone is using the SSB mode. I would invest in D-Star and use the Digital mode for the repeaters and on simplex.
Aug 27th 2015, 21:43

AA1PR

put up an simple micro node on allstar & be done

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn