ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

HBR 14 coils conversion to toroidal coils

Jun 27th 2014, 11:46

cathoderay

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi,
I have studied the tube HBR 14 receiver for several months now, and I am gathering together the required parts. I have managed to obtain the IF coils from e-bay. I now turn my attention to the RF and osc coil design.
I wanted to change my design to cover the whole HF 1.7-30MHz. And I wanted to use toroidal coils for the RF and Osc coils.

Is there a resource around that will enable me to be able to design the RF transformers, using toroidal cores?

I would want to switch these in, not use plug in coils. Possibly using reed relays.

Does anyone have a view on any of my plans? I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has done similar mad things.
Mar 21st 2015, 01:29

KF4HOJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I built some coils for non-radio purposes. I used the formulas from a book called, "LC Circuits". It's not very big, but it's really clear and concise. I bought cores for the freqs I wanted, then ran the calculations per the book. Wound them and tested them with a scope and variable oscillator (and precision capacitor).

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn