ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Drone aka UAV to put up stationary antenna?

Aug 12th 2014, 21:57

xof7fox

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have done a little time on the internet and found no experimentation, let alone commercial applications, of using drones (aka, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles aka UAVs) to position an antenna and 'sort of' hold it 'in place.' While realizing that this could take more drone heft to lift and hold any antenna that is technologically practical/feasible, I am still brazen enough to risk the embarrassment of posting herein / asking the question. Thanks (I am thinking I just might be hearing laughter in the background? :- ).
Sep 5th 2014, 02:42

tuulen

Stories about drones do appear in the news, for military applications, for delivery of medicine, medical supplies and AA radio and cell phone batteries in remote and/or disaster areas and even for Internet based package deliveries, but until you just now mentioned it I have not yet heard of hoisting and holding an antenna as a possible use for a drone, so congratulations to you for having such an original idea! It seems like it could be done, but requires a lot of planning, for an antenna light enough for a small, hobby type radio controlled helicopter to lift, and then there is the matter of how long it could be kept in the air. But yeah, that probably could be done.
Jan 19th 2016, 02:38

K5TUE

I have been using my UAV to carry a small 2m beacon into the air...works great!
Jan 19th 2016, 18:10

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAqVM0yrMS8

DE WB1GCM
Jul 31st 2016, 07:27

K7DRV

Looks like it be it would be feasible to fly a drone over a convenient tree lifting fishing line to install any wire antenna. Fly it over bring it back down, and pull the antenna up. Am I missing something?
May 18th 2017, 12:22

KK4UYV

While this thread is a bit dated, it's close to what I'm researching. Couldn't you now use a tethered drone to lift your antenna and stay airborne virtually nonstop? I work at a broadcast network where shortwave is still important. I'd like more info on using a drone to lift a light-weight antenna wire, if at all possible, and use it for legal broadcasts in an emergency situations. My apologies if these are dumb questions and if this is the wrong forum to use. 73s.
May 19th 2017, 08:34

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.sonic.net/~n6gn/SWTL_Powered_Drone_Antennas.html

I think it a good question, but answers may be hard to get because this technology is still quite expensive for the average ham. I'm still waiting for the prices to come down even more before I get one to install my antenna ropes higher in the air.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 16th 2017, 06:42

K0MGM

You can check out CYPHYworks.com who makes PARC is an enterprise-grade tethered drone that is all-weather capable to mil-spec. It performs in high winds with industrial strength reliability.
Dec 23rd 2017, 13:51

WA8NVW

And of course there are significant FAA operating restrictions on use of drones if you are near any commercial airport, along with local and state laws and Homeland Security concerns that depend on your specific location.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn