ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

One Antenna or Two for HF/VHF/UHF

Sep 24th 2014, 17:15

pmc181

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi all,
I am a newbie studying for my technicians exam and trying to pick out my first equipment for a home base station. At least at first, I want to cover the HF/VHF/UHF bands of 10,6,2, and 70cm. My choice for the radio is either the Yaesu FT-897D or the FT-991 if available.

I want to roof mount one or two antenna, 20 to 25 ft at the base, on my house to cover these bands. My backyard is pretty much an in ground concrete pool area so not really any place for ground antenna with radials.

My question is would I be better off with one Comet or Maldol HVU-8 antenna or would I have a better setup going with one vertical for the vhf/uhf and another one just for HF?

Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Paul
Sep 26th 2014, 13:15

W1VT

Super Moderator

Do you want to talk on the radio? The only HF band that lets you talk is 10 meters--I'd suggest a simple 10 meter vertical or dipole. How loud you are really makes a difference on voice. On data or CW, not so much, so you can make more of a compromise and still do quite well.

You might talk to the locals about the scene on VHF/UHF. In some places, nearly all the activity is on 2M. But, in others, 70cm is also a popular band.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Sep 27th 2014, 11:38

pmc181

Thanks Zack.
Sep 27th 2014, 17:29

WA9WVX

Hello Paul,

I see that you have chosen two different Multimode Multiband transceivers. It would be a pity not to be able to use all of the modes or 10 m, 6 m, 2 m & 70 cm bands, traditionally Weak Signals CW / SSB use horizontal polarization which minimizes the man made noise levels whereas Analog FM uses vertical polarization, pretty much immune to man made noise. You could erect a small 10 m beam on a tripod with a 5/8 Wave Vertical on the same mast pipe. The erect another tripod to hold a 4 element 6 m, 11 element 2 m & a 14 element 70 cm beams horizontally stacked 3' apart with a Tri-Band 6 m, 2m & 70 cm Vertical on the top of the mast pipe and have the better of all four frequency bands to use.

BTW, Good Luck on Passing your License Test.

Dan
WA9WVX

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn