ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

External DC Source for Desktop Yaesu FT-60

Oct 14th 2014, 03:01

ac8sw

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Question, please. I'm a retired electrical engineer, new to amateur radio as of Aug 2014. I purchased a Yaesu FT-60 5W handheld that I'm using it as a desktop transceiver connected to a remote 4-element 2 meter yagi. I'm very disappointed that the unit did not come with a power brick for operating from 120 Vac. The FT-60 Operating Manual advises not to operate the unit, even in receive-only mode, using the 120 Vac input, 12 Vdc, 500 mAdc output power brick that feeds the Ni-MH battery charger. The only external DC source option offered by Yaesu appears to be a cigarette lighter adapter for mobile operation. Does anyone know of a suitable 120 Vac external DC source for the FT-60? Thanks.
Oct 15th 2014, 16:51

WA0CBW

Looking through the manual it appears that the radio was not designed to operate off anything but the attached battery. It can be hooked up to an external ~12-volt power supply for charging the battery (or the supplied "wall wart" AC supply). It appears that the external supplied voltage charges the battery and should not be used once the battery is charged. Since the radio operates on 7.2 volts one could build a 7.2 volt 2-amp power supply. The alkaline battery pack could be used to make the connection to the radio. It might be possible to build the power supply into the alkaline battery pack.
Oct 16th 2014, 16:49

ac8sw

Thank you for your response.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn