ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Time to retire "MAR" section

Oct 28th 2014, 21:13

VE1AWP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
A group of us contesters here in the "MAR" section feel the time has come to announce the end of the MAR section in not only ARRL contests but all contests. When our Department of Communications (now Industry Canada) granted us separate prefixes for New Brunswick (VE9), Nova Scotia (VE1) and Prince Edward Island (VY2), they recognized they we were distinct Provinces with enough Amateur Radio operators to support a distinct call sign. And as multipliers go, why wouldn't you want to have three new districts to work when multiplied by six bands you have a substantial increase in your scores.
We have tried to weigh the pros and cons, the only con would be the contest software not keeping up with the change or the operator not downloading the newest version, but do we wait forever? Ontario (VE3) lead the way with their divisional split, now it's time for the Maritimes to be recognized as NS, NB and PEI

Thank-you, Al VA1MM/ VE1AWP (NS) Maritime Contest Club Member
Oct 31st 2014, 00:34

VE1AWP

-----Original Message-----
From: ve9dx@nb.sympatico.ca [mailto:ve9dx@nb.sympatico.ca]
Sent: October 30, 2014 8:25 PM
To: Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA
Subject: Tried to send this to the list... Maybe a senior moment...

Mike - Would you please forward this to the group. Hopefully it will at least stir up some discussion
73 Andy

Greetings all from NB -
Be advised I fully support Mike on Mults be for provinces. Normally I seem to get on for a few contacts only now days. Seldom every submit my logs as I have more wall paper than I need Having been an active ham and contester since 1965.
I do find it a bit of a pain sending MAR as the section especially knowing that each one of our Provinces has its own government. I can't tell you how many times I hear MAR ..--.. in a contest. To the point in some contests I just shut down.
Hopefully in my lifetime someone will see fit to address this issue. Over the years I have had many personal discussions with the league, RAC and to this point after hearing leave it with me. We are still at the same spot.
SS is this weekend - Yes I will be on and will likely hang in there until I hear MAR?
Just put yourself in our place. After a bit I am sure you will see Mike's point.
Come on you all... it is time to take a serious look at the mult's in some of these contests.
I honestly feel - If the ARRL would make the move, others would follow suit.
Be BOLD.
73 Andy (VE9DX) Previously VE1ASJ, VE1DX, CY0SPI, VE8CW, VO2AB - just to name a few.
For the record - I am a Life Member of both the ARRL and RAC.
Nov 5th 2014, 22:30

AI4BJ

As a former Maritimer (I lived in Saint John between 1975 and 1981) I can sympathize with you, but as a contester I know how difficult it already is to work all VE sections during Sweepstakes. During SS CW this past weekend, I only managed to work 2 of the 4 ON sections -- I never even heard the other two. I did work one MAR station -- I don't remember which province it was.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with the MAR section cannot be much of a contester, and I am sure that your experience is shared by hams in SV/SJV/SCV, etc. Most Americans are so ignorant of Canadian geography that you would be no further ahead in terms of "name recognition" telling them you are NB, NS, PEI, hi hi.

Mark AI4BJ

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn