ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

best choice for 2 meter Base antenna in wwoded area

Oct 28th 2014, 22:06

N4ROE

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am moving to the mountains of North Carolina. the lot is wooded, not closed in but plenty of trees. Is one type of antenna a better choice than another considering the trees? I am thinking about mounting the antenna I choose fairly high using a roof or chimney mount. Thanks
AC8RW
Oct 28th 2014, 23:56

WA9WVX

It's a bit difficult to determine which frequency bands you're referencing too for a vertical antenna to be used on. I can provide general engineering references for RF Path Losses, i.e. HF would be -1 dB Loss, VHF 50 MHz would be -2 dB Loss, VHF 144 MHz would be -5 dB Loss and UHF 430 to 450 MHz would be -10 dB Loss. As to where you plan to mount the vertical on your home is a completely different issue in itself as to the structure's height as a one story home is approximately 16 feet tall versus a two story home is approximately 22 to 25 feet tall. On HF the height wouldn't mean that much but you would need at least 2 radials per HF band on the vertical for good performance. On VHF 50 MHz height starts to matter so install it as high as possible, on VHF 144 MHz height matters quite a bit so install it as high as possible and on UHF 430 to 450 MHz, height is the name of the game and use 9913 coaxial feedline for Minimum RF cable Losses so install it as high as possible and even though you will be located in a eastcoast mountainous area, I'd be guessing at best where the home would be placed, i.e. on a downslope below the top or right up on the top. Again, HF no problem but on VHF 50 MHz & 144 MHz and on UHF 430 to 450 MHz, you would develop shadowed areas as Losses for the RF signals depending on your location.

Dan
WA9WVX
Dec 23rd 2014, 19:12

GABuz

As Dan has already mentioned height is your friend, I have this one and it works well.
http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/csh-arx2b

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn