ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

WB7DIE

Oct 29th 2014, 15:12

w7MH

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I notice, on a daily VHF repeater net some control operators refer to them selves as "net facilitators" while most use "net control". I have looked through the ARRL operating manual and find no mention of "facilitator". Many on the net are new "hams". What are your thoughts?
Nov 2nd 2014, 23:09

WD3D

Those people are LIDS..
How many times have you heard someone say their call sign, followed by - for ID?
Your ID is your ID.
How many times have you heard someone say mobile -3 or marine mobile or something like that?
The FCC says we only need to identify with our call sign.
How many times have you heard a new ham say 10-4?
Or, how many times have you heard someone on the repeater - reading the weather scripts to themselves - broadcasting.
When you try to correct these new hams, they get upset, and usually one of their CB radio good buddies comes along and jumps down your throat because you corrected them...
We have a lot of people here that bought their ham radio license and they don't talk in plain English, they call each other Mr. or use some type of handle like General or Mayor etc. and it is disgusting to listen to them.
Everyone gets into amateur radio for what ever reason and they twist and bend and contort the rules to what ever they would like them to be.
Some people will even get a call sign with their initials - because they are worried that they might forget their call sign, while others will get a call sign that makes it appear as if they were old hams - and they will use terms like QSL and QST over and over again - to make it appear that they are knowledgeable.
The one that says HI HI also gets on my nerves...
99% of them doesn't know any CW and they just want to sound knowledgeable.
Nov 5th 2014, 06:50

WA9WVX

WD3D ... Gerry,

I resent your issue about older call letters like my own as I've been assigned the WA9WVX call letters since October, 1968 and have never changed them for any reason even if I were to up grade to an Extra! I have used the term OSL during a QSO to confirm whatever the operator on the other each needs but now I guess the Amateur Radio Community must bow down to the Old Timer Extras because they are unwilling to change or be flexible with the newer operators ... even with older individuals like myself.

I'll bet any amount of money that you didn't start out in this hobby as an Extra ... everybody starts some where and it's NOT at the top of the chain. Yes, I agree that the ham community has lost some of it's dignity when the ARRL & FCC removed the CW requirement and made the written exams so easy that the newer people only need to send in 3 Box Tops from their favorite Cereal and some money to get a ham license BUT where was the hobby going anyway with Cellular Phones and Computers that the General Public use on a daily basis?

The Old Timers seem to be unwilling to step up to the Plate and become Elmers which is SAD in my opinion. We're the guys that are suppose to help guide the new ops but we complain about the newbies having poor operating skills and not knowing anything.

Any where I can help .. I do it ... even for the so-called Extras as I'm retired from 2 - Way Radio Communications in the Land Mobile Radio Industry which was my career spanning from HF all the way up to Microwaves and I've worn many caps during my career. I'm a bit rusty on CW but there are many different modes that I've been involved with including encryption so if you label me as a LID, you better look in the mirror at yourself too!

Dan
WA9WVX
Nov 6th 2014, 19:22

w1rfi

Super Moderator

I did a bit of research on-line and did find a bit of use of the term "net facilitator." It's not exactly the term most hams use, but most people would understand the term and if it's used, I personally don't see any harm. I'd be happier to see a new ham willing to take on a leadership role like that, so I'd accept that new hams might bring a few new ideas into Amateur Radio, just like we did so long ago. Ed, W1RFI
Nov 6th 2014, 19:36

w1rfi

Super Moderator

WD3D: First, I haven't had to do this yet on the forum, but I do need to remind everyone that name calling and other personal insults are not going to be allowed here. I am not going to delete it, but you may want to consider editing your post to make it a bit more helpful and encouraging for everyone.

I do see a few of the points you raised differently. There are sometimes occasions where making it clear that one is transmitting a call sign only for identification, not to try to interject into a conversation could be helpful. You are correct that the rules don't require the use of "mobile" and the like, the rules do permit the use of tactical identifiers. When I operate on the County Hunters net, if I am mobile I always identify as such because some are seeking contacts only with mobile operators. Likewise, on a repeater, it could be useful to know that someone is mobile, to make it more obvious that they may drop in and out as they go over hill and dale.

The use of 10 codes is also permitted under the rules, and is actually more appropriate on voice than the Q codes that most hams use. Most hams use "ham lingo," but if a few hams who are also CBers call each other by the names they have know each other by on CB, if they properly identify their stations, they are not breaking any amateur rules.

Now, as to your correcting hams on the air and having it not appreciated, if you take the tone on the air that you took on this forum, it is likely that it was your tone, not offered in any form that would be taken as friendly advice, that got the response you described. Speaking personally, I'd much prefer to talk to a ham who used 10-4 in a conversation than I would to talk with a ham who felt he needed to bash and insult others. 73, Ed, W1RFI

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn