ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

FCC Form 660

Jan 3rd 2015, 22:09

Kirk

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The FCC just sent me my extra license document Form 660 and it is printed on plain bond paper. I thought FCC Form 660 was to be printed paper that had a background that includes hundreds of gray hash marks in vertical and horizontal patterns.
I just finished doing the VE application and find that in the 2014 VE Manual and on page 44 the following passage is written:

The FCC issues Amateur Radio licenses using its official license form, FCC Form 660. It includes two official licenses on an 8 1/2x11-inch document. The standard wallet-sized license, which measures approximately 2 1/4 inches tall by 6 3/4 inches wide is found at the bottom of the form. Also included is a 5x7-inch license suitable for framing and display. Both of these documents, each of which requires the licensee's signature, are legal license documents. The background in both documents includes hundreds of gray hash marks in vertical and horizontal patterns. The document has been printed on tan/off white colored stock safety paper, but FCC indicates the background color may vary depending on the color supplied by their printing contractor.

The license now looks cheap and not official.
Jan 4th 2015, 22:29

aa6e

I haven't seen the latest crop of licenses, but I'm not surprised. This is one of the things you may get when you "sequester" money in Washington -- an across the board funds cut that means they can't buy fancy paper (along with a lot of other things).

I suppose there's nothing to keep you from photocopying the license onto whatever fancy stock you can find. It's mainly to impress the police or other authority figures who suspect you're up to no good with all that equipment in your car or campsite.

73 Martin AA6E
Jan 5th 2015, 03:21

ChrisM727

I just got my Tech license a few weeks ago and it was plain ol' white paper. I'm just happy to get it, so bought a nice frame and laminated my personal copy.

I scanned and printed a copy the original form before I cut it up. I also scanned and printed a copy of my exam certification. I keep all essential documents copied on a portable hard drive that's in a fire box with a printed copy of the original.
Jan 5th 2015, 23:15

KJ4VTH

Lucky to get anything at all in the mail, it seems.

Under the FCC-proposed process, once a license application is granted, the ULS will generate an official electronic license but will no longer mail a hard copy license unless notified that the licensee wishes to receive an official paper license document.

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-asks-fcc-to-continue-issuing-hard-copy-licenses-to-those-who-want-them

73, Bill
Jan 7th 2015, 16:44

Kirk

Thanks for replies. I guess that the government is going on the cheap and thinks that everyone has access to the internet for license checks.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn