ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

When Away from QTH

Jan 10th 2015, 21:37

KB3ZMB

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am a traveling professional and participate in CW QRP in the evenings. The travel is obviously away from home. When I'm in the middle of a contact with another station, am I supposed to report my home QTH or my present location? I know that reporting my home QTH only serves to confirm my license location, however, that doesn't help someone who may be interested in how far their signal traveled to get to my station. On the other hand, if I give my present location, it does not reflect my home QTH and may confuse the operator of the other station when logging my contact. So, what am I supposed to report?
Jan 12th 2015, 15:52

aa6e

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
You need to report your actual QTH during the contact. Otherwise, the other guy may claim your home QTH for WAS and other award situations, he may point his beam in the wrong direction, etc. The normal way to handle this when you are operating "portable" is to sign your call KB3ZMB/6 if you're in California. And if you're travelling within the 3rd area, KB3ZMB/3. If you log your QSOs (and you should!), you should also log the callsign you were using (with the /n) and the actual QTH. If you use Logbook of the World, you need to create a separate "location" identity for each QTH (with the /n) to do it right.

I hope this helps.

73 Martin AA6E

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn