ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Whats the point!

Mar 7th 2015, 15:05

WA1DF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Last night (3/6/15) I felt like adding to the contacts for our foreign operators by joining in on the ARRL DX Contest - Phone. Not so much to try and win any awards but to make some contacts and have a bit of fun in the process.

After only an hour of Receiver front end desensitizing by 60db over signals and frantic adjustments with attenuators, coupled with 3 - 5 kz and more signal splashing. I tried to make a simple contact with a chap in Ireland, which should be a piece of cake from my home QTH in Maine but he couldn't hear my 100 watt signal.

I shut down the rig at this point and wondered what was the sense of it all. If contesting is supposed to promote commaradery and greater understanding of the operation of radio, then we are failing miserably.

I would ask that the ARRL change the contest rules to eliminate these problems and reemphasize what our hobby is all about and not just lighting up the ionosphere like some aurora event due to all the power being wasted in the atmosphere.

Prior to this contest I actually heard a 1kw station chiding a qrp station because he was asking for a signal report. The Kw station told him to go away or turn up his power so others can hear him. Good grief,

WA1DF no 73's here.
Don
Mar 8th 2015, 21:53

N4AAB

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I didn't hear any jerks on 20m, if I had encountered one I would have used my VFO. Sounds like that 1Kw station had a problem.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn