ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Samsung Refrigerator Overload

Mar 9th 2015, 01:11

W5RAA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
My vertical antenna is located about 30 feet from my new Samsung refrigerator. If I tune my amp to more than 100 watts, the refrigerator turns off and the control panel locks up. It must be a fundamental overload situation. I have to unplug it for 60 seconds to get it to come back. I've tried 4 toroids on the refer power cord with no improvement. Does anyone know how to EMI shield the electronics in a Samsung?
Mar 9th 2015, 18:33

W1MG

You don't say, but it would be helpful to know the frequency at which you are operating, the type o ferrite you are using, and the number of turns that you used on each toroid. --Mike, W1MG
Jan 18th 2016, 00:19

KI4PW

Similar issue here. The display is locked on the Samsung fridge and won't respond to any commands. My roommate reports it "dinged" a couple of times when I was operating on 20m this weekend--then it went dead. (40m at 100 watts doesn't affect it.)

Fridge still runs just won't respond to any control panel inputs. I was running 100 watts output. Antenna is a end-fed random wire in a sloping configuration. It's mounted to the house about 30 feet from the kitchen. New (to me) rig and antenna. Would be nice to know what kind of choke on the power cable (if any) would be effective.
Jan 18th 2016, 21:05

W1MG

Does the display unlock if you temporarily unplug the fridge?

For common chokes, I might suggest using toroid core made of type 43 ferrite. An ac line filter made by Morgan Manufacturing is easy to install and has good common mode suppression. Take a look at the M-475-3, which is rated for 25A. Here is the URL: www.morganmfg.us/radio-products/ac-line-filters-protectors
Dec 27th 2017, 09:04

KJ9C

I found this thread rather late. Our Samsung refrigerator CREATES RFI so bad that I must unplug it when on the air, regardless of band. I installed line toroids and a common/differential mode choke inside the refrigerator casing. No help.
Also, our Samsung TV turns itself on when I operate at 100 watts on 80 meters. Antennas are on a 1/4 acre lot so proximity may be a contributor, but that does not excuse poor design. (So I will no longer buy Samsung )

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn