ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

VHF/UHF mobile antenna on motorhome

Mar 19th 2015, 06:13

K6SDW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hey all.........so, my wife k6sew won and we bought the "bus" a 39' motorcoach....or, as I call it, the BUS!!!

I've installed my Yaesu 7800 vhf/uhf rig near the driver and plan to use the ladder at the rear of the bus for an antenna mount.

Any thoughts here? My concern is that at 12.5' roof height of the bus, most any antenna mounted at the top of the ladder will be subjected to physical harm, as in low tree branches, freeway overpasses....etc...

I'm considering buying a VHF-only whip since in this part of the world, the military's PAVE-PAWS has pretty much screwed us out of using UHF...I'm hoping the selection of a VHF 5/8's gain whip will give me some signal out and the whip will withstand a beating when hitting tree branches .... and things of this nature.

Any thoughts out there? All suggestions welcome!!

ed

Mar 19th 2015, 15:04

W1VT

Super Moderator

The height limits vary by state.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/engineering/trucks/trucksize/height.htm
Per the California Vehicle Code (CVC), no loads shall exceed a height of 14 feet. The CVC Height Section is 35250, and is copied below:

35250. No vehicle or load shall exceed a height of 14 feet measured from the surface upon which the vehicle stands, except that a double-deck bus may not exceed a height of 14 feet, 3 inches. Any vehicle or load which exceeds a height of 13 feet, 6 inches, shall only be operated on those highways where deemed to be safe by the owner of the vehicle or the entity operating the bus.

You have to be very careful about trees--after a heavy rain they can be much lower than normal. Similarly, trees not subject to traffic can be quite low.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

May 29th 2015, 18:22

Pine

Hi Ed, Why not make use of a 1/4 wave ground plane. It may have slightly less gain than other mobile antennas but is not so easily
detuned by bending when traveling, is seldom affected by low trees and is preferred by critical XYL's due to its low visual impact.

73 de Pine, ZS6GST

Jul 26th 2015, 00:00

W9CMG

I use an auto window regulator motor to dip my antennas on top of our "bus" for low objects. It's controlled from the drivers seat position.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn