ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna configuration-Newbie question

May 10th 2015, 21:02

km4ivh

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have had my general for about 2 months and haven't got on the air yet. Problem: My HF antenna system needs to be pleasing to the eye and we don't have any trees. The roof is 35 Ft. high and the two story house is about 50 ft long. The G5RV has been suggested to me in an inverted "V" configuration. My shack is in the basement 3 floors down. Any ideas? Thanks
Tom Valley
KM4IVH
May 11th 2015, 14:38

W1VT

Super Moderator

How about a flagpole antenna? You could put one up for Memorial Day!"

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
May 15th 2015, 19:02

K9EI

Tom-

Here's a few ideas that came to my head:

1. Inverted L with loading coil at base. 20' ground radials. 35' vertical section and 50' horizontal section. Tune with ATU. Refer to Cebik articles.

2. 50' dipole fed with ladder line and ATU in shack. Supported on both sides of house.

3. 43' vertical with ground radials

4. Tribander beam on roof tripod. Get a rotator when you can afford it and just point it in any direction of interest.

5. Loop antenna around the perimeter of your roof. Feed with ladder line and 1:1 current balun. Use shack ATU to tune.

6. Random length wire at any height in any direction in any shape. Tune with ATU and have a good RF ground.

Don't try for the perfect install right away. Sometimes the most simple of antennas will work the best. Plus you can put them up quick! If you are going to put a lot of time into planning your install I would focus 75% of the time and effort in the station grounding/bonding, then 25% of antenna work. I promise you won't regret it. Have fun!

Matt
KB9YOJ

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn