ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Inside Antenna

Aug 16th 2015, 04:21

KA2HZJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi:

Can I run a thin wire with white insulated on a white wall held on with invisible scotch tape for my FT 450D? If so, how long should the wire be to get most bands? The radio has a tuner for 3:1, do I need a new tuner? What turner is good but cost much? How thin can the wire be? How would I connect the antenna wires to the radio? What else do I need to know?

Thanks

x
x
x
x
x x
x x
x x x x
x x x x
x x o x x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

X = antenna
o = radio

Aug 16th 2015, 04:29

KA2HZJ

Hi:

The x are support to be the antenna on the walls. It goes from the living room wall, toward the back passed the closets on both sides then back to the front wall of the bedrooms towards the back.
Thanks
Aug 16th 2015, 16:08

W1VT

Super Moderator

That sort of antenna is very unpredictable--sort of like figuring out what the weather will be like a year from now in New England so you can best plan a wedding. You can pretty much guarantee interaction with the AC power wiring. Before you spend a lot of time with it, it may be useful to see whether or not you can hear much with a simple wire in the room. It can be a futile endeavor if you can't hear anything--concrete and steel buildings do that. But, hams working for ARRL HQ renting "perfect sixes" in nearby New Britain CT have done quite well with indoor antennas.

Zack Lau W1VT

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn