ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Net Check-in Validity

Sep 23rd 2015, 05:52

0001727880H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Our local ham club is currently involved in a debate. Our weekly, 2-meter check-ins have, in the past, included others "relaying" some participants who are not on the net. Most NCS's accept relays from an outlying position who can hear some on the net but cannot transmit sufficiently for NCS to hear him or her. Further, most NCS's allow people in the same location to check in for others present in the same location. Problems arise when others, having something else to do or somewhere else to go attempt to be checked in. This is usually done by asking NCS in advance, or by having someone else respond in the affirmative when their (the missing individual's) call sign or name is called.
Argument for this practice: New hams are rather nervous about getting on the air. We are trying to encourage them and build up their confidence. By not letting them engage in the "checked-in-no-matter-what-or-where" strategy, they will feel shunned , un-wanted, and will be discouraged from further ventures into Amateur Radio.
Argument against this practice: This denies the integrity of people, policy, and protocol - nets should be opportunities to practice correct operating procedures; check-in data can help in disaster planning and in areas where weaknesses need to be addressed.
I am sorry for the length of this inquiry. My purpose, trying to be un-biased, is to obtain a consensus from more experienced individuals and then share it with our members.
Thank you!
Sep 23rd 2015, 13:46

aa6e

It comes down to your club's policy. You can handle it any way you want if it advances the purpose of the club.

Personally, I'd say that the meaning of "checking in" is that you're there and available to participate in the net. If you're not audible on the air, or at least reachable through a relay, you can't participate. (Some nets might allow an Internet check-in or Echolink, so the line is a little blurry.)

If a club member really wants to participate, but can't for whatever reason, I suppose you could have a proxy check-in, but how does that help the net or the club? It's a little too easy and casual to count for much, in my opinion.

Good luck & 73, Martin AA6E
Sep 23rd 2015, 21:00

WA0CBW

I would agree that the purpose of the net is to check out your equipment, your ability to operate, and your ability to reach net control. Having someone else check you in defeats that purpose. Early and late check in's are taken at the digression of net control. Being on time for the net is part of the discipline of belonging to the net. (your mileage may vary)
Bill
Nov 3rd 2015, 18:40

KM3F

We have a wide area network that does checkins by referral.
No other local nets do it this way in this area.
All hams are encourages to check in as part of why they have obtained a ticket.
Nets would not function if there were no checkins.
They cannot participate in any activity whether equipment testing, emergency support or any other activity if they are not present on frequency.
Tell them this simple fact..
If they were called into service as hams would they respond.
If they had an answer to a question, would they respond? etc.
You have to get them off the shy post to be of any value to ham radio otherwise all they need is a Scanner or receiver to do what they do..
Bottom line is there is no excuse.
Good luck.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn