ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Hybrid DXCC Applications (Paper QSLs and LOTW)

Oct 5th 2015, 21:16

N9XG

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have to believe that this must be the case for many people, trying to achieve DXCC.

I have countries confirmed on LOTW for which I do not have paper QSL cards.

And.

I have paper QSL cards for countries that I do not have confirmed on LOTW. The total confirmation count is over 100.

The wording in the LOTW FAQ specifically forbids the combining of the two sets, into a hybrid application.

In the same vein, neither can I submit a DXCC application with cards, and refer to a LOTW credit(s).

Am I misunderstanding something, or am I effectively being locked out of DXCC, because I do not have all my credits on one system?

I find it hard to believe that I cannot apply for DXCC simply because I have (1)one confirmation on LOTW, and 99 valid QSL cards.
Since I am significantly more likely to receive a paper QSL card direct, than getting a confirmation on LOTW, I begin to ask myself why I am spending time with LOTW at all.
Nov 12th 2015, 06:04

WA7CC

There's been no follow up to the OP and, since I have the same question, I'll ask again.

Can LoTW and paper QSL cards be mixed to achieve the first 100 countries for DXCC? If so, what's the procedure?

Thanks
Nov 22nd 2015, 05:39

NU0C

I have been trying to figure this out myself. According to this you can link your LoTW account to your paper "DXCC Record".

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/dxcc-setup/#linking

What that actually means is as clear as mud. I already have DXCC through LOTW, and am closing in on 200 (with 702 confirmed for Challenge). What I have is a handful (10, to be exact) paper cards that I would like to apply for DXCC and Challenge in LoTW, with sporadically more in the future as I acquire them. These are DX that do not use LoTW but I need them for the awards. I can't, for the life of my, find out how to do this without "applying" for another "award". And even then it still a question as to whether they will show up as LoTW credits.

Even my card checker is baffled. This should be simple. I've worked them, I have proof, I should get credit for them. Period.

ARRL, do you hear me? I am seriously thinking of giving my money to eQSL instead. This is ridiculous.

Jim

NU0C
Nov 25th 2015, 14:25

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/dxcc-award-credit
If you look at this example for AA6YQ, he applies for endorsements even though he doesn't qualify for any awards or award stickers.
Jan 11th 2016, 03:31

NU0C

What I ended up doing was applying for a "Mixed" DXCC through the online (NOT LoTW) application process. My first DXCC earned was 10 Meter Phone via LoTW, so Mixed was a new award. I entered the data for the paper cards in the online form and then printed it so that my card checker could verify and send in. This appears to have connected my LoTW and paper credits together through the account link. How this will play out the next time I have some cards to check I have no idea.

Jim
NU0C

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn