ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Use of call sign with Part 15 devices on 33 cm and 70 cm ISM bands

Dec 8th 2015, 22:29

KC1ENN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am a very new, Technician licensed amateur working with programmable part 15 devices, the rfm22b and cc1101 chip set, controlling them with arduino's. My goal at this time is location/telemetry beacons for a side hobby sending data via RTTY and Feld Hell. I'm operating at less then 10 mW using the data sheet recommended single wire antenna. I'm receiving using a home made yagi, LNA4ALL, NooElec dongle and FL-DIGI.

I have this working and get very good reception at distance.

My question to the community is about using my call sign with a part 15 device. Thoughts, reservations, suggestions?

Thank you.

KC1ENN
Dec 9th 2015, 02:12

aa6e

If you're operating under FCC regs for a service OTHER than Part 97 (Amateur Service), you need to follow the rules that apply to that service. As to ID, it's only a question of what is required under Part 15, i.e., none. See Part 15 regs.

I happen to use my callsign as an SSID on my home WiFi system, but that doesn't mean I'm operating Part 97. Or so I hope.

Sounds like a good QST article there! (But then you have to call it ham radio. :-)

73 Martin AA6E
Dec 15th 2015, 22:30

KC1ENN

AA6E,

Thank you for the reply and your QST article suggestion. I'll certainly give the latter thought if/when my knowledge of these devices improves. In the mean time I may start a hardware forum thread on the rfm22b in the appropriate section to document the journey.

Here on out I'll refer to it as a QRP ham radio transceiver.

Thanks.
Dec 24th 2015, 00:27

KC1ENN

Question: Where in the forum should I start a thread on the rfm22b a 70cm/33cm FSK/GFSK/OOK low powered device?

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn