ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

QST as Downloadable PDF

Dec 14th 2015, 22:04

w4msl

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I realize that this is a long-standing complaint, but I'd still like to see QST available for download as a full-issue pdf files. The earlier issues are of particular interest to me, but not as single articles. I'd like to be able to browse through those archives at my leisure without having to specify what I want to view before I've seen it! Other quality magazines make their entire archives available for download to subscribers. Why not QST? It may be because some (and only some) of the issues are available for purchase on CD-ROM. But it would be nice if members could grab the archives themselves.
Dec 16th 2015, 01:07

aa6e

You can get full issues of QST, QEX, and NCJ on the Annual CD/DVD. These become available a few months into each new year.

Unfortunately, at $25, members would be paying twice for the same content. I have suggested that the annual DVD should be available to members as a low-cost add-on to the membership rate. Some other magazines do that, even sometimes at no extra cost.

Having PDFs for download to members would be even more convenient and cheaper to provide, but there is the question of whether they would leak out to non-members and discourage dues-paying membership. You could consider a 1-year delay in availability, perhaps. Digital QST downloads are useful, but their proprietary format is not the right choice for archival storage.

73 Martin AA6E
Jan 28th 2018, 11:55

K4KYV

Why were the old CD-ROM versions of QST that used to be available from issue one on, and prominently advertised in QST, discontinued? I purchased a set several years ago that goes up to 1929 IIRC, covering pre-1925 issues missing in my collection. The quality is not the greatest, about on par with the microfiche magazine archives you see at the public library, but at least they are readable and browsable.

$25 for a one-year CD set includes two other publications that you may or may not be interested in, is a bit much.
Mar 13th 2018, 15:34

KJ4YQK

I would like to see a QST application for Windows 10 or at least allow QST to be read in the Kindle App for Windows.. They allow the books be read in the Kindle App for Windows.
Mar 14th 2018, 12:01

W1VT

Super Moderator

The old CD-ROMs were discontinued because the viewer software was written for contemporary 16 bit systems. It was too hard for most hams to run old software on their new computers.

Also, that software was written by one really smart guy. This is no longer practical when users expect content to be available across an array of constantly changing platforms. We now pay another company to make our content available.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Mar 15th 2018, 13:33

KJ4YQK

Todays user do expect to view the content across multiply platforms, the need for a Windows App or maybe enable the content to be available in Kindle app for desktops. I read a lot of my books in Kindle or Nook for windows apps now. Very nice apps when you do not have internet connection you can still read.

If I can find some time I might look at the old CD's and see if I can write something to read and work like the old software. Will have to find an CD reader..
Mar 15th 2018, 15:01

W1VT

Super Moderator

Kok Chen W7AY has written an OS X reader for the old CD Roms. He says he will provide code for non-commercial use.

http://www.w7ay.net/site/Applications/QST%20Browser/index.html

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn