ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

5-Band WAS Requirements

Aug 24th 2011, 20:00

N0NA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Does anyone know if all contacts must be made from the same QTH? I worked 80-meter WAS many years ago when I lived in a different state. Now, after a move to a new QTH and three decades of inactivity, I'd like to try for 5-Band WAS. It'd be nice if I didn't have to redo the 80-meter WAS.
Aug 24th 2011, 20:17

K1ZZ

WAS rules require that contacts must be made from the same location, or from locations no two of which are more than 50
miles apart. If you moved more than 50 miles you get to have the fun of working them all over again -- fortunately, confirming via LOTW is a lot easier than chasing QSL cards.

Dave K1ZZ
Aug 25th 2011, 00:58

N0NA

Thanks, Dave. I think you're right, but I haven't been able to find anything official and in writing. The 50 mile limit (which I've found in the WAS rules) makes sense since it would be unfair for a rich ham to be able to travel to each of the 50 states, make a local contact, and get credit for WAS. But, for 5BWAS, I can't see how earning WAS in 5 different states would be any easier than working 5BWAS from a single location. So, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to redo my 80m WAS.

My appologies for posting this here. I guess it should be in the Awards fourm.
Aug 25th 2011, 10:15

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards%2520Application%2520Forms/5_BWAS_App.pdf

Rule #2 WAS Rules that do not conflict with these 5BWAS rules also apply to the 5BWAS Award.

(located with this site search http://www.arrl.org/search/5bwas/page:1)

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Aug 25th 2011, 13:54

W1VT

Super Moderator

Quote by N0NA
But, for 5BWAS, I can't see how earning WAS in 5 different states would be any easier than working 5BWAS from a single location. So, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to redo my 80m WAS.

I've found that working WAS on the higher bands to be much easier in Hawaii than on the East Coast--you have one local contact and all the other contacts can be done via F2 skip--all easy contacts at the top of the sunspot cycle. But, on the East coast, you often have to deal with the "skip zone" or "zone of silence"--distances too close for E skip and too far for line of sight.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Aug 25th 2011, 20:19

N0NA

Thanks, Zack. I'd read "Rule #2" but it didn't sunk in as to what it meant. Fortunately, I see that the Geritol Net (where I earned my 80M WAS back in 1978) is still operating, so it'll be fun to rejoin that group and rework 80M WAS.

I never thought about HI hams having it easier than the rest of us with regard to propagation on the higher bands. On 80M, I always envied RI hams who always seemed to be in high demand from WAS seekers.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn