ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

The Meter

Jan 7th 2016, 23:49

rrw1220

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello all, I'm new to ham, studying for the license, trying to get to know my Kenwood TS-820S the best I can before I can actually communicate on it. I would appreciate a short course on the meter of the rig. Maybe a brief description of the different functions. Thanks in advance!
Jan 8th 2016, 00:10

WA0CBW

Do you have a copy of the instruction manual? It can be downloaded from several sources and describes each function in detail. The meter monitors 6 different functions depending on the position of the meter switch (Automatic Level Control, Plate Current, RF output, amount of Speech Compression, the Power Supply high voltage, and the received signal strength. What question do you have concerning their use?
Bill
Jan 20th 2016, 00:14

rrw1220

Yes I have a manual, so the upper scale shows me the plate current in mA's, with the selector switch is in the IP position and sending. The ALC is obviously the lowest scale and read with the switch in the ALC position. RF, while transmitting the meter will deflect to the right but there is no meter scale in this position, it just shows relative output. While in the HV position it shows me the high voltage from the power supply while transmitting. Correct? On RF it says use the RF Volt to adjust, I'm assuming that is the Carrier Level knob?
Jan 20th 2016, 20:56

WA0CBW

When in the RF position the meter is a relative power output meter. It simply indicates RF power output. Use the RF knob on the back of the radio (upper left hand corner) to set the meter at about 2/3 full scale. Use the knob on the back to keep the meter from being "pinned" full scale.
BB

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn