ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

RE: Can Ham Radio and Solar Power co-exist

Mar 11th 2016, 16:45

NX1P

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I read with great interest, the April 2016 article on RFI from home solar installations. It is interesting that I tackled many of the same problems in my low power (240 watt) Sportsmobile Van installation. Specifically, the non-common mode noise issues related to all of the switching. Two things came to mind while reading this article 1) as a home owner you have no control over those 10KW installations on your neighbors roofs. 2) Believe it or not, running high RF power near an un-protected solar installation can damage panels and inverters.

Trying to keep a whole neighborhood of 10KW installations RFI quite and keep from blowing up your neighbors installation with your 1.5KW amp may be a bit challenging not to mention costly.

In the long run, I believe the FCC and ARRL will need to get involved with solar installation policies to ensure that installations are done in an RFI friendly way.
Sep 7th 2016, 21:10

jazzop

Very interesting. I agree with you that ARRL should be a mediating voice for policy change in this area. I'm just learning about PV technology as I plan to incorporate it in a new construction home in a couple of years. I guess I'll have to do some extra homework and planning to keep it from fighting with my radio shack. We don't have much PV in my area, so this is the first I've heard of it being a problem.
Dec 11th 2016, 20:45

KO6KL

I think it would be helpfull to keep track of the inverters hams have found that work well for Solar ham homes and the ones that would better as transmitters in some sort of the QRN contest.
Ko6kL
Jan 30th 2017, 20:58

KO6KL

installing a sunny boy 7.0 inverter today with dc only panels.
a new code this year requires a remote DC disconnect box
up on the roof , its full of electronics , something i didn't plan on
a 5 wire remote control line runs to a off button near power meter.
how do i upload photo's on here ?
i will add to my qrz.com page i guess.
ko6kL
Nov 4th 2018, 11:18

Lv2mtrhome

The FCC needs to get off their butts and get involved in the solar panel interference problem by first enforcing the rules requiring their certification of appliances capable of causing interference to any radio equipment. The rules are there.
I have filed a complaint with the FCC but have received no response. Also complained to the installers and got the ho-hum attitude.
Jan 16th 2019, 11:51

AC6BW

I am being wiped out by S9+ noise on 17 - 10m from my neighbor's solar panel array. I have DFd the noise to one particular house. I have been able to cancel most of the noise by using a phase cancelling system with an external noise antenna. But this does produce a null in my antenna pattern, and is not an optimum resolution. What recourse do I have? How do I file a complaint with the FCC? I do not know who the installer is, and I have not spoken with the neighbor.
Apr 21st 2019, 08:18

K0UO

It is very hard, the control box are all bad RFI problem, just ask any RVer now days.
Oct 11th 2019, 14:54

KI7QBL

RFI from solar components (inverters and charge controllers) is a big issue. Is ARRL or the FCC doing anything to resolve this issue? Any updates from anyone would be appreciated. What inverters and charge controllers are low RFI? I have big RFI problems from an Midnight 200 charge controller and a 3000 watt Samlux inverter.
Oct 20th 2019, 20:03

KX4Z

I get a bit of interference from my Outback master/slave 4kw inverters and their associated charge controller. Not terrible but I can hear it. I haven't yet really worked on it with the ferrites in the power but I had some cheaper line filters (probaby differential mode)---- and one inverter bit the dust, so not so sure i want the ferrites NEAR the inverter -- they may change the load chacracterists.
Oct 21st 2019, 07:59

W1VT

Super Moderator

Ferrites are typically installed to eliminate common mode currents and not affect the differential mode impedance expected by the inverter.

If possible, you should avoid wiring up a large loop antenna. There are hams that claim that a large horizontal loop is their Best DX Antenna!

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Oct 1st 2021, 09:26

toddbaumgartner

Does ARRL still have any contacts with SolarEdge? I recently got back on the air at a new house that has a SolarEdge installation that is creating significant RFI and am trying to find the best avenue for getting it remedied.
Oct 2nd 2021, 18:47

robertarrl

As a new ham I bought a used Kenwood 450 and vertical antenna anticipating getting my general soon.
However, after setting up the radio and antenna, I find S9 noise probably due to my and my neighbors solar.
I hope someone comes up with a solution soon.
Oct 4th 2021, 10:14

W1VT

Super Moderator

It may help to use one antenna for receive and another for transmit.
http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn