ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

2m vs 2m/70cm for New Ham

Mar 13th 2016, 14:08

AJ2E

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello all. I'm new to Ham Radio and this forum. Just passed my Technician Exam last week and I am shopping for my first radio. I've gotten several opinions on where to start but I am unsure which radio to choose to get the most bang for the buck. One instructor I spoke with suggested a 2M radio. Another said ideally I would want a dual band, 2m/70 cm. But the radios I've been looking at almost double in price to go from 2m to dual band. (From $170 for 2m, to the $300 ballpark for dual band)

Is it worth it to make that jump in price range for a beginner or will I be sacrificing versatility in the near future? I have a fair number of repeaters in my area so I am assuming most of my use will be on VHF for the time being. Is it worth the price jump to be able to use UHF as well? I still have an antenna and other gear to by as well.

Just looking for a quality starting radio that will last me a while. Not looking to go cheap. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mar 13th 2016, 17:36

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Depends where you live. In some places there are hasn't been a new 2M repeater for a long time--so active clubs have had to go to 70 cm. In other areas, there is no need to go to 70 cm because all the activity is on 2M.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn