ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Contesting Reporting and LoTw Coordination

Apr 27th 2016, 15:22

W9NZ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hams contest for different reasons. I contest to gain new DXCC entities or new States. In order to enhance enjoyment of the hobby it would be great if ARRL contest qso confirmations were automatically considered confirmed qsos in LoTW. This could be done a variety of ways. The bottom line is that approximately 50% of DX entities upload to LoTW. This basically seems to be a software/IT issue.

Ray Mikula
WA9ZVF
Apr 28th 2016, 13:02

w3iz

Contest participants can upload their Cabrillo logs to LoTW using the TQSL application provided by ARRL at zero cost. Your statement of 50% of DX using LoTW is without merit. All current DXCC entities have at least one log uploaded to LoTW as do several deleted entities.
Apr 28th 2016, 13:38

W1VT

Super Moderator

My LoTW confirmation percentage is over 70%
26757 QSLs and 37921 QSO records.

Contesters and DXers have different standards as to what constitutes a valid contact--for many, when a contest ends, you are suppose to submit your log--no fixing call signs, even if someone emails you the correct call. But, many DXers do allow the correction of minor errors in copying callsigns.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

http://www.yodx.ro/en/english
h) Post-contest correcting of call signs by using any database, recordings or confirming QSO's is not allowed.
Apr 28th 2016, 17:41

W9NZ

Let me be more exact in my wording. My personal experience has been that approximately 50% to maybe 60% of my dx contacts made during a contest have also updloaded to LoTW. Another responder had had 70%. Great. The point is that it would be great if the percentage was higher. If the dx contest submissions were automatically included into LoTw the percent would be even higher.
The fact that a dx contest participant can upload at no cost misses the point. The reality is that approximately 30% don't. The question is why? Perhaps they are also not uploading their contest results. All I'm saying is if they do upload their contest results it would be great if those contacts also got uploaded/included automatically in LoTW. That would increase the confirmation of dx entities in LoTW and would benefit the hobby.

Ray Mikula
WA9ZVF
Apr 28th 2016, 22:32

NV2K

I have some sympathy for your point. ARRL contests would be a place to start, as would the IARU HF Championships. Logs for these are sent to the ARRL or people acting as agents for same.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn