ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Licensed contacting unlicensed?

Jun 2nd 2016, 19:36

W0SJF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Is there a radio I can get my girlfriend, who has no license, that I can legally communicate with using my Baofeng UV-5R?

Thanks.
Jun 3rd 2016, 00:04

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

How far away is she from you?
Jun 3rd 2016, 03:05

W0SJF

Probably a mile, but in actual use it might be closer. I'm thinking in terms of keeping in touch on a hike or driving where there is no cell service. I hate to buy a set of radios when I already have one. I'd just get another Baofeng but I'm the only one with a license.
Jun 4th 2016, 02:46

WA0CBW

There are only a few options for non-licensed (or licensed by rule) methods of communication which include CB, FRS, MURS and GMRS. Although radios can be programmed with most frequencies they are certified for only certain frequencies by the FCC. Business licensed radios fall under part 90 rules. FRS, MURS and GMRS fall under part 95 rules. GMRS requires a license (no test required but there is a fee). It only covers immediate family members (i.e. spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc). Your Baofeng radio may or may not be certified for these Services even though it may be able to be programmed with them. So it would probably be easier to get your girlfriend a ham license and buy another Baofeng for her.
Jun 4th 2016, 02:58

W0SJF

I get it. Seems what's legal is overshadowing how do I do it and what do I do it with. BTW, I can tell you now she ain't gonna get a license.
:-O

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn