ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Thoughts on learning Morse Code

Jun 6th 2016, 20:07

W0SJF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm really struggling here. I'm using the Koch method at LCWO.net but after awhile all the letters start to sound the same. I downloaded the Koch trainer on my phone, assuming it would be a good addition to the trainer on my computer. Well, not really. I now have CodeMan on my phone which appears to be a better addition to the Koch method on my computer and I can use it anywhere.

Is there an EASY way to learn code? Better to go fast or slow? How many letters per day? Week? Month? Help?

Frustrated in Colorado
KE0JLF
Jun 7th 2016, 01:06

WA0CBW

I would suggest learning the code elements at a speed of 10 to 15 words per minute (or faster). Use longer spaces between words to slow the actual words if necessary. I would also get rid of the words dit and dah. For many people this adds an unnecessary conversion. Learn each letter by the tone sound, not by saying dit and dah. When saying dit and dah we tend to make them the same length. It should be dit and daaaah. This gets the length of each tone right and helps with distinguishing combinations of dit's and daaaah's. Also start learning words as soon as possible. Pick letters to learn that you can make common 2 and 3 and 4 letter words. And finally practice, practice, and more practice. Spend no more than 20 minutes once (or maybe twice) a day. Don't repeat the text you listen to more than a couple of time. You would be surprised how quickly your mind can memorize the words that have been sent only after a couple of times of hearing it. And finally don't forget to practice sending. At some point record the letters or text you have sent and play it back the next day and see if you can copy your own sending. Hope that helps.
Bill
Jun 7th 2016, 23:48

W0SJF

Thank you, Bill. Sounds like great advice.
Feb 5th 2017, 06:53

KH2SR

Real world on the air learning can be very effective across a room with a friend using a QRPp rig such as the KeychainQRP.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/QuirkyQRPHamRadios

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn