ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

RF Grounds, when a ground and when a Antenna?

Jun 26th 2016, 16:55

1200bruce

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
So if I take the copper down and out and keep under 6' it won't be a antenna right? So then if I drill though my concrete foundation and bury the wire to the gound post hammered into the ground that will be a few feet away from the house, as soon as it hits "dirt" is it a ground and not a possible antenna? I'm I thinking straight on this? PS: I passed my Extra Exam yesterday, and have not yet been on the air since I passed the first 2 in April of this year....lol
Jun 27th 2016, 00:27

WA0CBW

The length of your "ground" has more to do with it than what it goes through or what it is connected to.

Congratulations on passing the test! What comes now is a lifetime of learning the practical application.
BB
Jun 27th 2016, 03:19

aa6e

Any wire that carries RF current that is not balanced (with equal and opposite currents) or shielded is going to be part of your antenna system. It will radiate to some extent, causing interference in your shack and changing the antenna's radiation pattern. Shortening the ground connections helps, but the way to eliminate RF currents where they shouldn't be is to make sure your antenna is properly balanced -- so that no currents flow on the outside of your coax, and minimal currents flow in the ground system. (You might also use a current mode 1:1 "unun" in your coax run to stop currents outside the shield.) From the RF point of view, when the antenna is just right, there is no ground current -- and you don't need an RF ground at all. You still do need a good ground for AC and lightning protection.

73 Martin AA6E
Jun 27th 2016, 05:03

1200bruce

Ok I see, thanks! Bruce

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn