ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Looking for portable SW receiver

Oct 13th 2016, 00:49

W0SJF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Many have told me one of the best ways to learn the ins and outs of HAM, and to help learn Morse Code, is to just listen. I remember when I was a kid my dad bought me a receiver that brought me hours and days of enjoyment just listening. I'm not ready to drop a bundle on a decent transceiver yet, so are there any portable receivers out there that are worth it? When I go to Amazon and look at them my eyes glaze over and I can't make up my mind.

Thanks.
Oct 18th 2016, 14:54

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/code-practice-files
If you are on the Internet you may want to start out with MP3 files on your computer.

Zack Lau
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Oct 24th 2016, 16:24

K1HMS

There are apps for iPads, smart phones, and computers to learn code. G4FON is popular. You set the speed, it will send 5 letter groups, common words, simulated QSOs (contacts) and even letters and words you type in using the keyboard. Learn about the Farnsworth and Koch methods. On radios I also wanted to get a SW receiver "to get my feet wet" before buying a transceveier. I found there are few just receivers offered. Ham gear holds it price well so even a 10YO rig is 100s of dollars. I got a nearly new FT-450D for 500 bucks and after I got my license have worked the world with it. What ever you get your antenna (especially height) will be key to hearing anything, more so than the radio.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn