ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

QST for iPad?

Oct 19th 2011, 19:14

aa6e

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
@Zack - For PDF's, the graphics come through fine. The problem I have is that if you zoom in enough for comfortable font & graphics size, the Kindle's panning is not continuous. That is, you have to skip from one block on the page to an adjoining one, and the blocks are generally not commensurate with a column of text in the Handbook. That makes it really awkward sometimes, since you only may see the left 60% of a column. Then you have to jog right to pick up the right 40%. There is no smooth panning because of the slow e-Ink screen update. (More that you wanted to know!)

Redrafting figures would not help in this case. (Ideally, you'd reformat the Handbook in a narrlow single column format.) If we were talking about a native Kindle e-book (AZW) file, that would be different. Graphics in AZWs often come through very blurred if they are not published properly. (Even more than you wanted to know.)

Martin AA6E
ARRL Technical Advisor
Nov 9th 2011, 15:25

W2YR

I just purchased a Kindle Fire that I am anxiously awaited delivery. As I travel to Asia quite often, I would like to read QST on my kindle! Please consider electronic formats for all ARRL publications. The world is advancing and we need to be at the forefront of technology.
Nov 9th 2011, 20:19

N0NB

I just ask that the League NOT go down the same path that CQ Communications has done by employing Zinio for hosting their digitial versions. I will NOT buy into vendor lock-in schemes.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
Dec 3rd 2011, 19:53

KB0HAE

Hi. I too do not approve of digital versions of ARRL publications being in DRMed formats or hosted in such a way as to promote vender lock-in. I recently bought a Kindle, and the latest generation does read PDF files. I would like to see QST (and other ARRL publications) available in PDF format and also Mobipocket and Epub formats. This should work for most who want to read QST on their computer and or ereader or tablet. For those that might need a different ebook format, Calibre is an excellent free program that can manage and convert pretty much any non-DRM ebook format to a large number of other formats. It is available for Linux and Windows.

I realize that some ereaders may not work well with diagrams/photos, but when using a computer to read PDF files there should be no such problems. And ereaders are improving. Since PDF or ebook documents would probably have to be downloaded to computer (or tablet) before being transferred to an ereader, they should be able to be downloaded via a page on the ARRL members web site.

Ttyl.
Dec 4th 2011, 01:01

W0RSB

Quote by vkupiec
Ipad handles PDF's beautifully, as does the iPhone.

iPad does PDFs, but I hesitate to say "beautifully."
Dec 4th 2011, 22:00

aa6e

The Linux Journal recently switched to (paid) all-digital distribution. They now provide multliple formats: pdf, epub, mobi (Kindle), and formats for Android and IPad/iPhone. The Kindle versions are great -- nicely formatted for the particular screen, easy to navigate, etc. Seems like a good model to me!

Of course, QST is not ready (i.e., not forced) to switch to all-digital, and QST's graphic content (color and/or highly detailed) will be hard to render on small screens no matter what.

It's hard to break the DRM / restrictive IP mindset, and the economics (advertising, etc.) aren't simple, but it's good for members to speak up about this!

73 Martin AA6E
Aug 17th 2013, 05:12

NS5B

Seems like ANOTHER reason to change to .PDF format...

"...ARRL digital publishing partner, Nxtbook Media, is in contact with Adobe to regain access to downloaded issues of digital QST using the latest Adobe® AIR™ version 3.8 on Windows operating systems.

Instructions to uninstall Adobe® AIR™ 3.8 and re-install version 3.7 can be found on the “Save to Desktop” page through digital QST:

If you are prompted to upgrade Adobe® AIR™ to Version 3.8, refuse the upgrade.

If you have already upgraded and experience issues with Adobe® AIR™ you will need to uninstall and reinstall an older version..."
Aug 17th 2013, 12:21

KB0HAE

This is just another reason why nxtbook/adobe air was a very poor choice by arrl for digital qst. They REALLY should have gone with non-DRM infested PDF. The extremely poor decision that arrl made in this case is one of several reasons that I am seriously considering NOT renewing my arrl membership in a few weeks.

Basically arrl is unresponsive to its members, and doesn't care what its members want, nor does it care about whats best for Amateur Radio. Its becoming more and more obvious that all they care about is to keep the $$$$ rolling in. Since Android devices now hold a larger share of the smartphone and tablet markets, why no app to make reading qst on android devices possible? Just another poor decision.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn