ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

5 band DXCC

Dec 22nd 2016, 03:55

KK5RX

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Why aren't the WARC bands eligible for 5 band DXCC credit?
Why only 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10?
I live in a HOA area with a small lot, so 160 will never be in a log entry for me. And lately, thee just doesn't seem to be a lot of "new ones" on 80 and 10 -- especially after reaching about 65 or so QSLs.
5 bands = 5 bands. Why is the award for only a certain 5 bands.

I think that the rules should be changed to include any 5 bands; or the name of the award should be changed.

tks
Rick
KK5RX
Dec 25th 2016, 14:14

AI4BJ

I have a Christmas present for you, Rick: You don't need to make a single QSO on 160 to earn 5 Band DXCC! (The other 5 bands you list are the correct bands)

You ask why you can't "pick and choose" the 5 bands that you make your 100 contacts on. How would you feel if you earned 5B DXCC after decades of working on it, only to see the rules suddenly changed to make it much easier for others to attain? I know how I would feel: Totally gypped!

One way to compensate for having an inefficient antenna is to use digital modes such as JT9 and JT65. A friend of mine has earned DXCC using only 10 watts and a wire antenna strung around the inside of his apartment, using primarily these modes.

Mark AI4BJ
Dec 25th 2016, 18:35

KK5RX

Yeah, I goofed on the 160. (Must confess that in all years I've been a ham, I don't think I've ever had a QSO on 160!!!)

My point on the WARC bands is that they came into existence by international agreement of the ICU members, The hobby - on a global scale - had expanded. Why shouldn't the awards program expand as well to reflect those changes and reflect what is current..

Countries often re-align on the DXCC list. Think of the various Dutch Caribbean islands of couple years ago. Yes, I am aware of the political entity requirement for DXCC. My point is, when the playing field changed regarding these DXCC countries the awards program changed to reflect a new political landscape. (how many time do you have to work Bonaire or STM to prove you've worked them???)
And would I feel gyped if I had a 5BDXCC on 80 - 10, and suddenly the WARC bands were added? Cant say for sure, but I can say that I have accepted similar award and rule changes in other hobbies (racing) because of updates that kept the hobby current. So, based on that, I would say that I would accept the additional bands. To me the bottom line is that 100+ QSLs on the WARC bands is no less an accomplishment that 100 on 80 - 10. Which is why I suggest either adding the WARC QSLs to the 5 Band award or that the name of the award be changed to reflect what the award is really for.

anyway...Merry Christmas to all.

tks & cul

Rick
kk5rx

Dec 27th 2016, 17:20

W1VT

Super Moderator

The newly designed 5 Band DXCC award specifies the five bands :
Eighty Meters, Forty Meters, Twenty Meters, Fifteen Meters, and Ten Meters, so there is no confusion about it meaning what it always meant in the past.

Despite numerous complaints about propagation at the peak of the last sunspot cycle, I've worked and confirmed over 250 countries on the 10, 12, 15, 17, and 20 meter bands in the past five years.

While I don't live under HOA restrictions, I do have DXCC on 9 bands, 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 meters from a 0.3 acre suburban lot only 1/2 miles from the Golden Arches of McDonalds. In 2015 I worked 499 of the 500 entities needed for 5BDXCC--I was too busy chasing down 160M countries and fell one short on 80M.

I'd suggest an Inverted-L or top loaded vertical for working DX on 80 and 160M. I've found it very helpful to use receiving loops to work DX on 160M.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn