ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Solar Array Interference

Solar Array Interference
Please login to vote!
Feb 15th 2017, 22:36

NS6Q

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Are you experiencing interference from a solar array?
Feb 16th 2017, 13:45

aa6e

No installations nearby, so no problem yet. It is something to worry about, however. Check the April 2016 QST for K1KP's experience. A quiet installation is possible, if you take great care, but a typical installation is likely to be a problem. I would never take the risk myself (unless the installer could guarantee no RFI), but there's nothing to stop a neighbor from doing it.

You can always restrict operating until after sundown -- or maybe have a kill switch that shuts off the system while you're operating. We need more real-life data on how hams are dealing with these issues!

Good post.

73 Martin AA6E
Feb 26th 2017, 06:40

AC6BW

I have S9+10 dB noise each day centered at 25 MHz, that makes 12m completely useless, and is also impacting 15m and 10m. This noise first appeared about 2 weeks ago. The noise is constant, and is only present during the day. It stops completely as soon as the sun sets. By rotating my beam, I have traced it to a group of nearby houses, all of which have solar panels, and it appears that at least one of them is a new installation. I'm not sure what my next step should be. I certainly can't enjoy my hobby with this level of noise. I'm kind of at a loss as to whether I should pursue a solution with the homeowner(s), or just try to null out the noise with a phase cancelling unit. Any advice would be appreciated.
73, Roger AC6BW

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn