ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Operating in remote QTH - what do I need to know/do?

Mar 28th 2017, 15:48

KC1HBG

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
(Not sure if this is the right category, but I couldn't find anything for "Rules and Procedures."

I am planning a vacation this summer, and would like to take some radio equipment with me. As I live in New England, and am planning on going to Nova Scotia, I've got a few questions and am as of yet unable to find answers:

* As I understand it, if I'm out of my home area I should have a temporary callsign (or "slash" prefix/suffix). How do I go about registering for this?
* How do I ensure that anyone I contact gets credit (WAS/DXCC/etc) for my actual location rather than my home QTH?
* What should I know about bringing this sort of equipment across international borders? In particular, bringing this back home to the US? I'd really hate to lose this to overzealous border agents.

If there are links to write-ups already done, please let me know. I've not yet found anything satisfactory via Google. Thanks in advance...

EDIT: Oops, sorry - KC1HBG
Mar 28th 2017, 18:59

AI4BJ

Canada and the U.S. have a reciprocal operating agreement, so you don't need to obtain a temporary call sign. Just use your normal call sign (which you didn't include in your post, tsk, tsk) "slash" VE1. If your contacts record this correctly in their logs, they will receive proper credit for the QSO.

You shouldn't have any problems with U.S. Customs, but if you want to play it safe, bring along your original receipts.

Mark AI4BJ (ex-Maritimer)
Mar 28th 2017, 20:23

KC1HBG

Thanks for the quick info. I wasn't sure just which suffix to put on (and I've seen some people do prefixes, too). Is there a write-up or chart anywhere discussing the rules for which suffixes to use in the more general cases?

I don't think I've got the original receipts, so I'll just have to hope. Perhaps I can get a declaration at the first border crossing so that they know I at least left with the stuff.
Mar 28th 2017, 23:11

AI4BJ

This should help: http://www.arrl.org/international-1

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn