ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

CW for stroke victim ?

Jun 17th 2017, 13:45

AB3FN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Is anybody aware of a stroke victim who cannot speak communicating with his/her caretakers via code? For example, the person who had the stroke, but who still has mental acuity and use of one hand, might tap out a Morse message on a caretaker's hand. The communication might be facilitated by posting a Morse code chart on the wall, and instructing the stroke victim to tap slowly.

If you have any knowledge or experience in this area, I would like to hear from you. Please respond in this forum or to my email AB3FN at ARRL dot NET.

Thanks very much.

Nov 5th 2021, 08:07

KC8PFP_ARRL

I have Parkensen which put me out of business sending morse. I was trying to increase my sending speed but I keep moving backward, that and a small tremor in my little finger sent me to the doctor and was diagnosis of parkensen. My fingers were not able to do the quick finger movements required for code. What's strange is that I still can solder SMD! Just had to get a microscope for smaller sizes! I am working on receiving code by ear and sending by keyboard keyer.. I plan to receive by ear because the receive function of the keyer is too sensitive and hard to tune. I have several homebult vacuum tube CW transmitters to play with.

Rex KC8PFP
Nov 5th 2021, 16:32

W1VT

Super Moderator

Similarly Braille isn't very useful because these days it is often caused by diabetes. People with diabetes typically have peripheral neuropathy, which means they can't feel with the tips of their fingers.

Zak W1VT

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn