ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

antarctica on 5w ?

Sep 24th 2017, 21:16

KD7PJD

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
my uncle , the late W7BAV, said he worked antarctica on 5 watts. I wish now I'd of asked what mode but I believe it was several years ago, figure ten or twenty.
would they even have a CW proficient operator down there 20 years ago? or is it mandantory even now?
Anyway, I was wondering how difficult that would be to do from Yakima washington?
Jim
Sep 25th 2017, 09:40

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Under the right conditions, one can certainly work Antarctica on 5 Watts, provided an efficient antenna, located high and in the clear is used.

CW (or digital) would work best; phone would work, provided you were the first ham to hear the antarctic station before the pile-up started.

My best Antarctic contact was with 50 Watts and an attic dipole on 20 meters, working KC4AAA. The dipole was 15 feet off the ground, at best. There was no one else on the band, except that station. Lesson learned, never assume the band is dead, even though on-line band condition reporting says it's dead.
Sep 25th 2017, 10:02

KD7PJD

I'd be simply amazed getting antarctica on phone with 5 watts !!, I'm a big CW fan though and could see that happening. RE: dead band ... Can't be dead for EVERYWHERE, an attic dipole, 20 meters and 50 watts? way to go! Maybe there should be a low pwr. contest? I could see myself being a fan of this but it'd be ruff in high traffic.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn