ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

How do I get my md-2017 dmr to do APRS?

Oct 17th 2017, 16:49

0001490519H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I saw a youtube where a German guy used his MD 2017 to work APRS, but I only speak a klein bissel Deutsch.

I followed his instructions and demo and actually logged on once by fiddling for an hour or so, but I've never been able to repeat it since.

Can anybody point me to some documentation for working APRS in the US?

It would have been nice to have after half the town burned down.
Oct 17th 2017, 19:23

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/4qlhxt/dmr_gps_question/
This discussion suggests reasons why USA networks are reluctant to support APRS using DMR.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Oct 17th 2017, 21:39

0001490519H80

I live in Santa Rosa and speak from the perspective of the great fire this week.. All through this disaster there were - maybe - a dozen Ham stations visible on APRS.FI in this area. So this potentially major resource in EMCOMM didn't help a whole lot.

All the objections I see mentioned in that discussion don't amount to a hill of beans when (for example) two hospitals have been evacuated, several hundred houses have burned to the ground, and half the city is under mandatory evacuation orders.
(a) There are about a dozen DMR operators in Santa Rosa but a hundred APRS equipped DMR's would NOT have swamped the repeater ESPECIALLY since their messaging ability could have far surpassed analog traffic handling. and
(b) You can set the DMR radio to broadcast the APRS manually or at long intervals and
(c) You can include your callsign in the APRS comment field.

When the beans hit the fan those petty territorial complaints from "real" APRS users reveal themselves for what they really amount to.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn