ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Noise Evaluation Process

Dec 5th 2017, 23:31

KI7LFD

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I recently installed my new IC-7300 in my radio shack. The shack is really an insulated heated wooden enclosurer, located inside of a metal pole barn. (building in a building) My antenna is a "Myantenna" End Fed half-wave antenna for 80-10 meters. Everything seems to work well, as far as I can tell. I made a few contacts with the radio at distances of 1800 miles on 20 meters.

What I don't know is how to evaluate the noise levels that appear on the waterfall monitor. Is my site/installation noisey or reasonably quiet? What should I expect ? I live in a rural setting with power lines about a mile away. I don't hear or see any 60 cycle hum. Things seem fine, but I'm not experienced enough to know if everything is fine or if I'm fooling myself. Any suggestions on how to evaluate noise levels in my shack/installation ?
Dec 6th 2017, 16:21

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
http://nk7z.net/
He has used SDR or software defined radio to track down RFI in his area and written about it on his web site.

ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/ionosonde/documentation/CCIR20Characteristics20Applications20Atmospheric20Noise%20Data.PDF
A study of noise by the International Telecommunications Union

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn