ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Sheet Metal Fabricator for HAM Projects

Jan 13th 2018, 12:09

WA2FTV

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello Everybody

Does anyone know if there exists any sheet metal fabricators that would cater to the amateur radio hobbyist market.

I like in an apartment and do not have the space for such tools.

A search of the local makerspace organizations do not seem to have the equipment required.

There is a project that I would like to duplicate in one of ARRL's specialized publications that requires an electronic enclosure. A web search has not yielded any satisfactory results.

Please reply to this forum if you know of any such organization or company.

Thank You and 73s

Cedric
WA2FTV
Mar 30th 2018, 12:12

W3KFQ

Try Harbor Freight, they have very reasonable metal fabrication tools, I know, I have used the to make chassis's

W3KFQ
Bobby
Mar 30th 2018, 12:13

W3KFQ

I also live in an apt with limited space.
Bobby
W3KFQ
May 18th 2019, 17:11

WB5EMX

It sounds to me like you are interested in having a sheet metal company manufacture a chassis for you. If that is what you are trying to do, you will have to supply drawings (i.e., blueprints) of parts to be made that are adequately detailed so a sheet metal worker can read the print and put the proper bends and/or holes in the right spots. This involves significant skill if you've never done it before, but it can be done. I can talk with you further if you'd like. WB5EMX@arrl.net bob
Jun 2nd 2019, 08:15

AA5LP

Talk to a High School metal shop teacher, if you can find one that still teaches metal shop. You might try a junior college or trade school. Lots of times there will be a student who excells and the teacher will reward him with "special" projects.
I did several drafting projects in high school because I was the only one interested in architecture. My first part time employee in my drafting show was a high school "teachers pet".
Feb 7th 2020, 18:14

K5LIF

Look up 'brake' in the October issue of QST. There is a decent homemade sheet metal brake, with directions on it's use, which may fit your needs.

There was a revisit of this article in August of 2012, but I could not access it tonight.

Good Luck
Feb 7th 2020, 21:08

W1VT

Super Moderator

In 2012 we started using a new article archive by PageSuite and stopped linking PDFs to the old article archive. I just heard that the guy who used to do that has been retired from his last job for over a year.

The new archive allows you to view the entire issue of QST and do full text searches.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn