ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

9:1 or 1:1 Balun?

Mar 23rd 2018, 04:33

K4PDM

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm using a 250 foot inverted vee fed with window line, and I'd like to know which balun I should be using...the 1:1 balun built into my MFJ 989D tuner, or a commercial surplus 9:1 balun.

Most experts nowadays say to use a 1:1 balun with a long doublet fed with 450 ohm line, but my analyzer shows lower untuned SWRs with the 9:1 external balun. It seems the tuner doesn't have to work as hard to match, with the 9:1 balun.

Even though current thought favors the 1:1 balun, in my case since the match is easier to achieve with the 9:1 balun, should I be using it instead?

73 Paul K4PDM

Mar 23rd 2018, 09:13

W1VT

Super Moderator

Perhaps. But, SWR doesn't provide the whole picture. You may want use an non-contact IR thermometer to see which balun gets hotter after transmitting. You may also want to see which balun provides the best signal to noise ratio on receive. Just because a balun is commercial made doesn't insure that it has a lot of common mode rejection on the frequencies you want.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Mar 23rd 2018, 09:16

W1VT

Super Moderator

Perhaps. But, SWR doesn't provide the whole picture. You may want use an non-contact IR thermometer to see which balun gets hotter after transmitting. You may also want to see which balun provides the best signal to noise ratio on receive. Just because a balun is commercial made doesn't insure that it has a lot of common mode rejection on the frequencies you want.

To get a complete picture, you would want to use your analyzer measurements to calculate transmission loss as well as tuner loss.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn