ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Free-standing pushup antenna mast

Mar 23rd 2018, 15:04

N0CHS

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi all-

I am disabled and on a fixed income (very low income
Mar 24th 2018, 08:50

W1VT

Super Moderator

I don't know of any good solutions.
When I was much younger I'd use a TV tripod and angle iron to make a drive on base for the mast. Then, after the base was installed with a short section of mast, I'd lift the rest of the mast and place it on the short section of mast.

Telescoping fiberglass poles are a possibility, but they can't hold up very much, even if you just use the lower sections. They also have issues with fiberglass splinters and UV degradation in the sunlight.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Apr 3rd 2018, 21:56

N0CHS

Thanks Zak.

I'm looking at buying 12' of 3", 2" and 1.5" thick wall aluminium. Threading (drill) locking holes/w L bolts. A 1 cubic foot concrete base w/ post 6" below top soil (so can plant grass if needed) base post "3' vertical and anchored in concrete. Placing 1st section and none-telescoped sections on the base. Adding antennas 2m/70cm+ rotator & 4el yagi and maybe all band long wire. Shouldn't be a problem with 35mph wind (worst case)???
I could make base post even longer if suggested. Would include diagram but this is cellphone lol.

73s and ride safe
Colin, W1EEK
Apr 5th 2018, 06:40

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.dxengineering.com/mastloadestimator
DX Engineering has a mast calculator on their site

http://www.theconcreteproducer.com/how-to/concrete-production/how-does-contact-with-aluminum-affect-concrete_o
You don't want to put aluminum in a concrete base.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn