ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Frequencies that should not be used..

Mar 26th 2018, 18:25

KE0PIK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am new to Ham radio, recently gaining my General.
I finally put up an antenna that I could transmit with and unfortunately, the second frequency that I chose to call CQ on was 14.300 only to find out it is used by the Maritime Mobile Service Network. (Which ended up being my first contact).
Needless to say, I was horrified that I called out on a frequency that is used by emergency services.
I went off of the ARRL US Amateur Radio Band plan color .PDF which states absolutely nothing about the usage of that frequency.
Are there any other frequencies that I should avoid that are allocated for phone usage?
This really took the wind out of my sails!
At least I know my Transmit is working :-)
Thanks!
KE0PIK
Mar 27th 2018, 11:23

KB2E

Well, it's said that nobody owns a frequency and that is true except for 60 meters. There we are secondary. However it is just polite to recognize that certain nets have been around for a very long time on certain frequencies and we should yield to them as a matter of courtesy. This is becoming a problem of late on 40 and 80 meters with deliberate inerference by a few on long established net frequencies during net operations. Although they don't "own" the frequency courtesy is king and should be afforded.

14.332 is the YL System for example. A long running net, since 1973 I think. You can download a program called Netlogger which will tell you pretty much what nets are on and what frequencies they occupy at the time. Don't get too concerned over walking on them when you don't hear them. I frequent the YL System and many times someone will walk on top of the controller because they don't hear him or her. I may hear him +20 but he doesn't hear them nor do they hear him. That's when someone who does hear them will come on and inform them of the net. Done politely most ops just move on.

Enjoy the hobby and don't worry about the small stuff.
Mar 27th 2018, 18:42

KE0PIK

Thank you VERY MUCH!
Being new to this, there is an incredible amount of information to absorb.
A LOT more than I expected when I decided to jump into this :-)
I greatly appreciate the advice.
Have a great day and 73 as they say.
KE0PIK

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn