ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

QRN from neighbor's air compressor

Jul 5th 2018, 10:53

N0CHS

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi all-

When I have 2m band on, my neighbor's air compressor causes a rhythmic qrn (static) burst on my IC706MIIG.

He's a friend and owns a small engine shop almost next door. Before I go talk to him, I'd like to at least narrow down what may be causing the qrn.

Any suggestions eliminating causes BEFORE I head over to talk with him?

Colin
Jul 13th 2018, 19:07

aa6e

Older air compressors (like mine) have normal (induction) AC motors that don't usually make RFI. If your neighbor has one that has a variable speed motor, they can make a lot of RF noise. The easy check would be to take a portable radio (AM, FM, or shortwave) to the compressor and see what you get. Chances are the interference is very broad band. In any case you should be able to check out various parts (the motor, the line cord, etc.) to see which are "hot". Most likely, it is injecting noise into the AC power line, so a filter on that line might help. You might also check to see if the frame is properly grounded to the AC 3rd wire.

Good luck!
Martin AA6E
Jul 21st 2018, 17:06

N0CHS

Thanks for reply. Not sure what a filters going to cost (sigh). He received the compressor free because it didn't work

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn